Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thor sneezes a lot and he's done it since the day we got him. He's been to the vet already for a check up and she said that his breathing was normal, there was no sticky residue around his cere, no nasal discharge etc.

He is very chirpy, active and eating and drinking normally. Currently he is growing out his baby bars so is behaving the way you would expect from a moulting budgie.

Does anyone have any idea what we can do to help his sneezing? They're not big dramatic sneezes, just little ones mainly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes he'll sneeze 4-5 times in the space of 5/10 minutes. When he's resting he doesn't tend to do it. It's usually when he's eating, drinking or preening. He's sneezed on my face twice in the past week and it was wet, but it was after he'd been drinking water and eating lettuce.

I mean, I think he's fine because he's acting completely normal in every other sense - but it's good to get a second opinion!

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,537 Posts
You need not worry much if he has no sticky residue, nasal discharge, or distressed breathing. He does seem to sneeze a bit more than normal at the rate you've mentioned, and does this occur throughout the day and reoccur daily? Having a humidifier around will definitely help. You should be cautious when his sneezes are accompanied by wheezing, distressed breathing, and/or continuous tail-bobbing up and down, which is usually a sign of respiratory problem. He'll then need immediate medical attention.

Hope he's just a bit sneezier than the others:)

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
Mallorn sneezes for the same reasons--eating (once she got a seed husk stuck :rolleyes:) preening, and bathing. It's normal unless he's showing other symptoms or has discharge, as mentioned.

I think he's just fine :giggle: I always love their cute sneezes :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need not worry much if he has no sticky residue, nasal discharge, or distressed breathing. He does seem to sneeze a bit more than normal at the rate you've mentioned, and does this occur throughout the day and reoccur daily? Having a humidifier around will definitely help. You should be cautious when his sneezes are accompanied by wheezing, distressed breathing, and/or continuous tail-bobbing up and down, which is usually a sign of respiratory problem. He'll then need immediate medical attention.

Hope he's just a bit sneezier than the others:)
It can happen at least once a day sometimes, but I think it's because he's gotten a husk stuck in his throat or got a feather stuck up his nose whilst preening (the latter being quite funny because once the feather is free and falling to the ground he has a stare-off with it :p)

Yeah I think having a humidifier sounds like a very good idea from what I've read around the forum, so thank you for that advice! :) and thanks starlingwings and deriksen for your replies. This place is so great for advice even if it's an issue that's been raised by loads of other people before.

Muchas thank ya's! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.