Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try and comprehend how I got this

From these

I believe that both parents would need to be split to recessive pied. I considered for a moment that the fathers' DF spangle could be masking the pied, but he has a normal coloured cere which doesn't fit. However, he doesn't have iris rings which does fit.

One of the previous offspring is a DF spangle female with no iris rings which could very possibly be masking the pied. The other two chicks show no signs of the gene, except for irregular blue patches suffusing through the DF spangle.

So, theories people!

Also, say that theoretically they were both split to pied. If I bred the male to a recessive pied female I would have a good chance of producing RP chicks, correct? However, if, say, I bred this chick to the RP hen, they would all be RP... right?​

Reactions: epo

·
Registered
155 Posts
I too know nothing about breeding or mutations however I just had to tell you that your little baby is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! :loveeyes:

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Sorry I cannot help! I hope one of the other friends will come along and tell us. They are gorgeous!

·
Birdman of Alcatraz
288 Posts
Actually I also have the same question as well. I have a yellow face type 2 single factor sky blue opaline girl that does not have iris ring. She has no pied markings though.

The only problem that I find odd is the fact that they have no iris ring? Why is this recessive pied mutation with no iris ring more dominant than the existing genes that these birds currently have? Is this a new mutation?

I think you are right, if the male is split for recessive pied and you mate it to a recessive pied hen, you should be able to get some recessive pied progeny out of that pairing. But as to the percentage that you will get, I am not too sure. Probably 5050? or just based on the amount of RP chicks over the total amount of chicks to work out the percentage?

Are you breeding him with any recessive pied hen soon? I be curious to see the turnout of the progeny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.