Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also have an underweight bird, Plumpy, and tried everything to get her to eat pellets. I heard soaking them in juice might entice her. All it took was a few drops and they were complete mush/paste which my bird hated. I have had much better luck using the Harrison's High Potency Mash which is a powder and I can sprinkle on foods. My bird really likes seeds that have been soaked over night (she prefers the softer texture) so the powder sticks a bit to the moist seeds. I can see this might work well on fruits and veggies if they are rinsed first and are a bit damp. You can probably grind up the pellets you already have into a powder with a rolling pin or a spice grinder.

I also make a powder out of sunflower seeds or nuts as my bird won't eat tiny pieces of them but nibbles on the powder. Usually you can get hulled sunflower seeds meant for wild birds pretty cheap. Recently we have had success with a product called Avigain which is also powder. It smells like maple (from the fenugreek). Plumpy also loves steel cut oats which I've heard can promote weight gain, maybe your bird will nibble on these along with the veggies?

Finally my underweight bird started to eat pellets when I gave her a new companion who eats pellets. The mirror perch with a little spot for food is a hit for all my birds and is preferred over pellets in any other type of food bowl I've tried. http://a.co/bJbRWDu

I do have one very overweight budgie (51g and that is an improvement) and currently Plumpy is up to 27g. Because of the big difference they have to be separated. But I take them out to socialize together or sometimes give them all time together in one cage for a partial day (in between the high calorie meals).

Lastly once a day I let Plumpy out of the cage in the evening for some extra high calorie nibblings while the others sleep or fly around.

Hope you gives you some ideas to try!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.