Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd share some of my other (Non-Budgie) art pieces. I have a lot of art so I just chose my top few. I know I love looking at other people's art and seeing their different styles. I did not post all of my favorite pieces since I do not have full copyright on all of them, so I do not share them publicly or sell them. All of the pieces below I have full copyright on. You'll notice most are watercolor. This is because I did watercolor for about 3-4 years and am now doing colored pencil then going to do some acrylic as well.

Watercolor of draft horses. Did this about a year and a half ago.

Watercolor

This is probably my all-time favorite piece. It's a colored pencil of my horse, Tessa, and her brother. This photo didn't turn out great- looks much better in person:mellow:

Watercolor- did this about 4 (?) years ago.

African sunset- watercolor. Did this about 2 1/2 years ago

Watercolor of Hawaiian fish- did this about 3 years ago.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Your watercolours and the drawing of your two horses are truly beautiful works of art! Thank you for sharing these, I would also love to see more. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your kind comments! I always appreciate how uplifting this forum always is :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Very nice :) I want to try watercolor, but I am too afraid lol. You are very good at drawing animals to proportion (which I can never do!).

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice :) I want to try watercolor, but I am too afraid lol. You are very good at drawing animals to proportion (which I can never do!).
Thank you! And it just takes a lot of practice :) You should give watercolor a try- it's not that bad once you get the hang of it...mostly :001_tongue: What I find helps the most is painting a subject you really care about (for me it's my animals) and your passion shines through and also gives you the patience needed to complete a difficult piece!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thank you! And it just takes a lot of practice :) You should give watercolor a try- it's not that bad once you get the hang of it...mostly :001_tongue: What I find helps the most is painting a subject you really care about (for me it's my animals) and your passion shines through and also gives you the patience needed to complete a difficult piece!
BooksBudgies--Think you have the important point spot on, couldn't agree more. That is, paint what you love or care about. It's animals for me too, usually MY animals or ones I know closely.

Whatever it is, the love will naturally show and give the image life. The "technique" is purely a secondary thing compared with that.

Ilovepets--Agree with BooksBudgies that you should try watercolour but without being afraid of it! Everything you try will give you experience which will teach you something more. No matter if you think it's a disaster -- you will have learnt a lot more than you will realise from the trying.

NB: Don't throw away any "disasters". Hide them away if you must. You never know, when you become the new Picasso or Hockney, you can publish them in a book on your beginnings and turn them into dosh :) (till then you'll be living hand to mouth in a garrett, so you will need it.:lol:)

Please will you remember us when you're the rich new kid on the block?:Love birds::)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BooksBudgies--Think you have the important point spot on, couldn't agree more. That is, paint what you love or care about. It's animals for me too, usually MY animals or ones I know closely.

Whatever it is, the love will naturally show and give the image life. The "technique" is purely a secondary thing compared with that.

Ilovepets--Agree with BooksBudgies that you should try watercolour but without being afraid of it! Everything you try will give you experience which will teach you something more. No matter if you think it's a disaster -- you will have learnt a lot more than you will realise from the trying.

NB: Don't throw away any "disasters". Hide them away if you must. You never know, when you become the new Picasso or Hockney, you can publish them in a book on your beginnings and turn them into dosh :) (till then you'll be living hand to mouth in a garrett, so you will need it.:lol:)

Please will you remember us when you're the rich new kid on the block?:Love birds::)
Thank you so much for that wonderful comment and encouragement to us all! And I second the not throwing away a piece you think turned out disastrously. That fish watercolor that I posted I hid away for nearly a year without looking at it because I disliked how it turned out. However, when I recently found it again I looked at it with new eyes and found that it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Often when you spend too long working on a piece you start to pick it apart and find everything you could have done differently. When that happens, as it does to me, take a break or even put the piece away to work on it more another time, with a new mindset and maybe you'll have more skills to by then to figure out how to complete it. The nice thing about art is that you can start a piece with a goal for it to turn out one way, and then later on in the piece decide to turn it into something completely different (and better) than what you originally thought. That's the beauty of it. And also like Stranding said, even if a piece doesn't turn out how you want, it always gives you experience and something to learn from. And it also teaches you to have lots of patience:p

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thank you so much for that wonderful comment and encouragement to us all! And I second the not throwing away a piece you think turned out disastrously. That fish watercolor that I posted I hid away for nearly a year without looking at it because I disliked how it turned out. However, when I recently found it again I looked at it with new eyes and found that it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Often when you spend too long working on a piece you start to pick it apart and find everything you could have done differently. When that happens, as it does to me, take a break or even put the piece away to work on it more another time, with a new mindset and maybe you'll have more skills to by then to figure out how to complete it. The nice thing about art is that you can start a piece with a goal for it to turn out one way, and then later on in the piece decide to turn it into something completely different (and better) than what you originally thought. That's the beauty of it. And also like Stranding said, even if a piece doesn't turn out how you want, it always gives you experience and something to learn from. And it also teaches you to have lots of patience:p
Exactly! Agree with all you've said :)

So the advice is:
Don't be afraid, jump in and just do it. What does it matter whether you get the proportions "right" or not? Think of Picasso with his eyes and various body parts all over the place...but who's worried about them? :lol:

More seriously, take a look at his masterpiece "Guernica". What you see and feel is his overwhelming shock and horror jumping directly at you. I don't think anyone would question the proportions...

Forget the grownup in you that says "Oh, dear, what if Im not doing this right?"

Be like a child and focus on what you have in your heart and soul that wants to come out. Then just let it!

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
BooksBudgies, your art is wonderful! Really, I am terrible at drawing or painting anything. I can barely muster a stick figure, :giggle:, but this is really incredible! Not sure I'll ever pick up a paintbrush. I'm quite satisfied with my hooks, thank you very much, :laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.