Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female that's solid yellow with white checks, tail and wingtips. She has red eyes but extremly faint cinnamon markings on just the back of her head shoulder area and a little on her wings. What does she count as? Thanks I really apprecaite you guys help! :D

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It is possible that she is a lacewing dilute but to find out you'd need to breed her to a cinnamon male. If the male chicks are cinnamon then she must be lacewing but if they are normal she must be lutino

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok sorry I'm still learning, so lutino is one mutation, lacewing is another (seperate) and is dilute a third, making the lacewing light, or does it mean the lacewing mutation itself is like weak? Even if she has lacewing genes (which I'd think she'd have to or else she'd be pure yellow) can she produce pure lutino chicks?

Thanks for all your help again!

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
ok sorry I'm still learning, so lutino is one mutation, lacewing is another (seperate) and is dilute a third, making the lacewing light, or does it mean the lacewing mutation itself is like weak? Even if she has lacewing genes (which I'd think she'd have to or else she'd be pure yellow) can she produce pure lutino chicks?

Thanks for all your help again!
Some Lutinos can be marked faintly. My Lutino hen has faint markings a bit like what I can see on your bird however your picture is very dark.

If she is Lacewing she will not produce Lutinos unless she is paired to an Ino male or a male split for Ino.

The cheek patches on a Lacewing will be a pale violet not a silvery white

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Many lutinos have very faint markings but it doesn't always mean that they are lacewing

The Lacewing mutation is formed by the ino (lutino or albino) gene combining with a cinnamon gene. So if a lacewing hen is mated to a lutino **** the chicks will all be lutino (or albino). If a lacewing hen is mated to a cinnamon **** the chicks will all be cinnamon. If a lacewing hen is mated to a lacewing **** the chicks will all be lacewing. The mutations are sex-linked so you get a different result if the sexes are reversed.

When the dilute mutation is also present it can make the lacewing hard to identify but it does not weaken the lacewing gene. The dilute gene is recessive so it won't show in all the chicks unless both parents are dilute

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.