Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spangle,dominant pied, cinnamon, grey chick. I understand how the chick became spangle,dominant pied and cinnamon but why the grey? Can anyone tell me why her body color is grey? I thought grey was a dominant gene.

The pair is ...
Eddy a normal green/split for cinnamon ino and blue

Alba an albino masking spangle and dominant pied

Eddy's parent are...
Horus a lutino masking dominant pied/split for blue

Ginger a cinnamon, green/split for blue

Alba's parents are...
Zeus a spangle, blue/split for ino

Violet a dominant pied, recessive pied, greywing, violet

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Alba must be masking grey if you have a grey chick since it I dominant as you said :) do you know what violets parent were?

Can you post pictures of the chick? :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what Violet's parents are sorry. But wouldn't that make Violet's body color grey? or would her being greywing dilute the color not showing the grey so much? Here are a couple photos of the chick. Her markings are light brown and her body color is grey

Attachments

·
19,551 Posts
Well if you got a grey chick it must have come from Violet who passed it to Alba, as Zeus is not a grey and Eddy is not one either.

It could be that the greywing has diluted Violet and when mixed with the violet it is not as obvious :)

Maybe as the chick feathers out a bit more it will become less true grey in color, violet and cinnamon together often look greyish from the dilution too and she could have violet from Alba :)

·
19,551 Posts
It's a lovely bird. Lindsey is always ready to explain with a photo - brilliant!
Thanks Dries, you know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words and I understand so much better when pictures are involved! :D

Bridgett do you have any pics of the little one all feathered up? Did she end up being a cinnamon violet? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.