Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love spangles! I have seen a lot of pics here on the forum and my faves by far are the spangles.
Now whenever I go to a pet store, I look for spangles, though I can't bring any home right now.
I think my recessive pied is spangle, based on the few markings he has, but I can't be sure. Is there an expert out there who knows if recessive pieds can be spangle too?
If so, and if he is, I may want to breed him next year.

I will take a better picture tomorrow when I uncover them.
;)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
A budgie can be both recessive pied and spangle but from what can be seen in the picture your recessive pied does not look spangle

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Yes the yellow one looks like a spangle. His wings look like my Mika's and she is a recessive pied spangle :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yay!
That's what I was hoping to hear. So if spangle is dominant, there is a chance that some of his offspring might be spangles.:)
Iplan to study up this year and read all of the breeding journals I have time for to prepare for possible baby budgies next summer.
My poor husband!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
it is very hard to tell with so few markings, but i would have guessed not a spangle. if you breed and get spangle chicks then you will know for sure.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I breed a lot of recessive pieds and spangles and I don't think your pied is spangled. As Toni said breeding is the only way to be sure

Here are couple of photos of recessive pied spangles

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone. He does have very few markings, so I guess the breeding will be the final say.
If spangle is dominant, why isn't it more common? I rarely see them for sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.