Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about spangles. Is there a way to produce them withought a spangled parent? Is it a sex-linked mutation? Also, I saw the following picture of a spangle and noticed his wing markings are very similar to the few markings that can be seen on my YF and i'm wondering if anyone thinks he could be spangle. Thanks.

http://www.***************/v_spangle6.jpg

Bruce

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
I have no idea but you should ask barrie he is good at these sortof things. He is good with mutations and breeding ect...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

spangle is basically a dominant variety that is not sex-linked, so you do need a spangle parent to produce one. however, remember that df spangles look all white or yellow so they do not actually show the spangle markings and could be mistaken for a non-spangle.

from what i can see the markings on you very lovely yf are not spangle... but i can only see a little area by the 'shoulder'.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
hi there,

spangle is basically a dominant variety that is not sex-linked, so you do need a spangle parent to produce one. however, remember that df spangles look all white or yellow so they do not actually show the spangle markings and could be mistaken for a non-spangle.

from what i can see the markings on you very lovely yf are not spangle... but i can only see a little area by the 'shoulder'.
Lol Becca. Mane others know a lot :D ;)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
From the picture the markings on your yellow face recessive pied don't look spangle but if you could post a better picture of his back we could see more clearly. I have bred quite a few spangle recessive pieds so with a good photo I'm sure I could tell

Barrie and Nev are the all knowing around here. :D One is bound to come on eventually!
Don't forget Toni, she is a real expert

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the picture the markings on your yellow face recessive pied don't look spangle but if you could post a better picture of his back we could see more clearly. I have bred quite a few spangle recessive pieds so with a good photo I'm sure I could tell

Sorry it took so long. He's hard to photograph because he's still kind of afraid of me. The first three are without flash, the last three with flash.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have another question. His body color looks to be cobalt in person. doesn't seem diluted at all. And the few markings he has on his wings are grey. Does that make him also a fbc greywing? I'm trying to get the best guestimate on all of his mutations as he is one I want to breed in the future and I'm trying to figure out what mutations I want to produce and what kind of female I will need to get them. So far, i'm thinking I'll put him with Purl (opaline greywing and I'm suspecting violet factored). That just seems crazy to have all those mutations in one bird : opaline, spangle, fbc(?) greywing, YF2, and recessive pied. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.