Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try sprouting this week. I've found plenty of info on how to sprout, but I haven't seen anything about how much and how often to give them for a single budgie. My current schedule is:

- offer a fresh fruit or veggie first thing in the morning (these often go untouched, but we're working on it!)
- 2 tsp of seed when I take the fresh food out
- pellets are available at all times
- He also gets egg food once a week on the weekend.

Would I just replace the fresh fruit/veggie with a couple tsp of sprouts a few days a week?

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts
You can offer your budgie sprouts every day if you wish to do so in addition to the fresh fruit/vegetable.

Sprouts are very healthy for budgies, low fat and your little Albie can eat as much of them as he likes. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did somebody say sprouts? My ears just perked up. :)

Like FaeryBee said, you can feed your bird sprouts every day. They are so much better than dry seeds!

What will you be sprouting? Do you have a sprouting container? What method are you using?
For my first attempt I am going to try sprouting some of the Volkman's seed I normally use (after picking out the non-seed bits). There are a number of reviews on Amazon say it can be sprouted.

I am going to try using the mason jar method shown here since I have all the supplies on hand already. :) If that goes well I'll have to try some other things too.

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts
Definitely let us know how it goes with the Volkman seeds.

I have more Volkman Seed on order right now so if you have good luck sprouting yours, I'll sprout some of mine in my

:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sprouter looks neat! I may have to try that someday after Albie has really taken to sprouts so I can have a nice little compact place to have multiple batches going at once. :budge:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Definitely let us know how it goes with the Volkman seeds.
I was able to get some sprouts with the Volkman seeds using a mason jar, but I don't think I'm going to continue with this method. Volkman just has too many other non-sproutable things mixed in. I tried to pick it all out before sprouting, but it's time consuming and definitely not something I want to do on a regular basis.

I ended up ordering a Lil Bird sprouting kit (organic seed mix plus a sprouter) from Sprout People and plan to order a Victorio Sprouter to try as well. I'm excited to try them when they arrive!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Volkman seeds sprout well, but like Jen said, there are a lot of little blue bits and other things that are a pain to pick out. I had been using mason jars but haven't done sprouts since last summer because it has been too time consuming to prevent the metal rims from rusting. When I save up a little more money I would like to order some plastic mason rims from Sprout People and also try the Lil Bird mix. Jen, you should let us know how your budgies like the Lil Bird mix!

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
I was able to get some sprouts with the Volkman seeds using a mason jar, but I don't think I'm going to continue with this method. Volkman just has too much other non-sproutable things mixed in. I tried to pick it all out before sprouting, but it's time consuming and definitely not something I want to do on a regular basis.

I ended up ordering a Lil Bird sprouting kit (organic seed mix plus a sprouter) from Sprout People and plan to order a Victorio Sprouter to try as well. I'm excited to try them when they arrive!
Woohoo!

I use the following seed mix as a "base" for my sprouting mixture.
I use 1/4 cup of the Hagen budgie seed, and another 1/4 cup of my personal mix. Toss it all in a sprouter and watch it grow!

http://www.amazon.com/Parakeet-Budgie-Staple-Seed-3-Pound/dp/B0002ARUOM

Maybe this weekend I'll do a grand post with all my sprouting goodies.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Volkman seeds sprout well, but like Jen said, there are a lot of little blue bits and other things that are a pain to pick out. I had been using mason jars but haven't done sprouts since last summer because it has been too time consuming to prevent the metal rims from rusting. When I save up a little more money I would like to order some plastic mason rims from Sprout People and also try the Lil Bird mix. Jen, you should let us know how your budgies like the Lil Bird mix!
I'll post my results once I give it a try. Hopefully everything won't take too long to get here. :)

Maybe this weekend I'll do a grand post with all my sprouting goodies.
You definitely should! I'd be interested in seeing everything, and I bet others would be as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,952 Posts
Looks great, you guys! Awesome with all the sprouts ;)

Jen, let us know how your bubs like the sprouts! We'd love to see a post on it, I'm sure :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was able to get some sprouts with the Volkman seeds using a mason jar, but I don't think I'm going to continue with this method. Volkman just has too many other non-sproutable things mixed in. I tried to pick it all out before sprouting, but it's time consuming and definitely not something I want to do on a regular basis.

I have the sprouter and Lil Bird mix. It works great and my birds gobble up the sprouts. I want to try to find or mix my own seeds that I can feed them dry or sprout. All the commercial mixes I have found so far have other stuff in them and I am afraid it will spoil when wet.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I definitely agree with buying from Sprout People. I'd get the Golden Waves (I think that's what it's called) grain mix, millet, flax, lentils, mung beans, and green peas. I'd do 30% grains and 70% or so of millet. The total mix should have 5% flax and 10% lentils + mung + peas. Okay, I know the math doesn't exactly add up, but whatever.

I've been feeding my kiddies sprouts as the main part of their diet for the past two years, along with a variety of veggies and the occasional slice of fruit.

I personally use the Easy Sprouter, but that sucker's hard to clean and it scratches easily! I'm thinking of try a stainless steel sprouter.

Mumm's is planning on doing a bird mix, so I'm writing to them some suggestions, which I'm sure anyone who's thinking of doing up a mix for their budgies would like to read. Here:

Base:
60% millet and canary (5:4 or 4:3 ratio of millet to canary)
30% grains (1/3–1/2 Kamut)

Three kinds of millet (include red millet for the colour)
No rye (people worry about giving their birds ergot poisoning), hulled buckwheat (the hulls can be off-putting for smaller parrots due to the shape, texture, and size of buckwheat)
The millet, canary, and grain base should account for 70-80% of the small parrot blend

5% flaxseed
10% mung, lentil
Rest can be broccoli, radish, mustard, and clover

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have tried special sprouting mixes. They sprout well but are expensive and my birds will not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Now I buy vita parakeet seed straight from a special exotic bird food supplier in my state. He is much cheaper and it is always super fresh and sprouts easily. They gobble the sprouted mix up like no ones business. I use stacking sprouting trays since with 4 birds that get sprouts daily I go through a tray every 2days. With stacking trays I can make a weeks worth at one time. Any seed mix will sprout as long as it is fresh. If it doesn't sprout throw the seed out because it is old and not good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.