Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 2 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
I think step up training is one of the final steps, only to be engaged in after a long and careful bonding process. It is much easier to train step-up (or any command!) when they know you are safe and are comfortable with you. So I would step back a bit-- start by just sitting close to the cage and talking. Continue doing this for long periods each day, until they stop fluttering away and seem comfortable. From there, slowly introduce talking with your hand in the cage-- and, as they get more comfortable with this, you can begin enticing them to come onto your hands with millet or another treat.

Your bonding process will be slowed down a bit since there are two-- their primary bond will likely always be with one another, and they don't need your company as much as a single bird would, but it is doable. I wouldn't begin step-up training until probably months down the line, when both birds have spent significant time on your hand on their own terms.

Also, as a general note, I don't think it is kind to the budgies to subject them to a small cage for training purposes. Even if they are easier to handle in cramped conditions, they deserve room to move and fly!

1 - 1 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.