Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all the budgies are weaned, the oldest went to his new home almost 2 weeks ago and I still don't have a idea what the youngest is

Other than yellow face (even though its so pale in all the pictures it looks white but its actually yellow face and the wings are all yellow too Its a complete body wash of yellow lol) Grey wing(finally markings started showing up) And clear flight pied Body color I still haven't figured out it can be Violet, Grey, Sky blue or a combo of any of the above I can't tell for the life of me what color it is since it barely has any color to it

but my biggest Thing i want / need to know if its Opaline so I know the sex and I can't even tell that lol

First 3 pics are of the Budgie in Question
4th pic is of the youngest (back) and the 2nd oldest together on a swing I know the mutation of the 2nd oldest
and the last one is a group shot after they were all moved into the same cage, the 2 American Budgies and Tiels lived together from 3 weeks on Started in the brooder and just moved up as they got bigger the 2 English were from a couple months ago But I decided to put them all in one cage it's a lot easier when some one comes to look to buy if they're all in one cage instead of saying "this cage this bird is for sale, then this cage and that cage" and so on So if the birds get along they get to share a nice big cage :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
tricky! i can't see any markings dark enough to be greywing, and it even seems to be too pale for a dilute.

is there any chance it is a df spangle? or df dom pied? i can't remember what the parents were...

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is grey wing The dad is Grey wing the mom is split both siblings are grey wing The yellow is washing Everything out

The dad is a Grey Violet Grey wing clear flight pied (he was very light as a baby and looked silver now that he's had his adult molt you an see the violet in him just not in pics LOL)

the mom is a yellow face type 2 Sky blue dominant Pied split to grey wing

neither parents have Spangle and nor can they be split to spangle so that's not a option

and only the mom is the dominant pied so can't have a double factor Dominant pied either

even in person its very hard to see the body color and markings but it is there, just the pale yellow washes it all out

I'm half tempted to keep this one and use "her" as a future breeder but Before I make that decision i really have to be 100% sure she's a female - I don't need any more males I'm in need of females

If you go to my website and look under "OUR BIRDS- NOT FOR SALE" Scroll down to the budgie section and you'll see the Parents, the dad is Gabriel and the Mom is Mystic
for some reason the forum is giving me a Token Error when I try to attach pictures

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
will take a look at your site, there is no reason that i can think of for yellow washing out other colours. that is not how it usually works. a green greywing would still have strong grey markings and the reduced but obvious body colour despite having yellow present. i suspect something else has washed out the colour and allowed the yf to be more clearly seen rather thanthe yellow somehow causing the dilution of the other colours.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will take a look at your site, there is no reason that i can think of for yellow washing out other colours. that is not how it usually works. a green greywing would still have strong grey markings and the reduced but obvious body colour despite having yellow present. i suspect something else has washed out the colour and allowed the yf to be more clearly seen rather thanthe yellow somehow causing the dilution of the other colours.
any clue to what would cause that?

I don't mind mystery birds but I really am a stickler on my records and like to have them accurate :D

Could it be caused by being both Clear flight and Dominant pied? since both parents were one of each pied?

but the only real wing markings (can't really see them in the picture i know and its hard to see them in person have to get in to good lighting) but they're basically just on top of the wings they don't go down the wings very far at all

here's another pic of her from the other day still can't really make it out but its a bit closer up and she was finally in front of the camera for a change She must think the camera is a disease because she keeps away from it as best as she can LOL but you can see the markings are very slim and they're mainly towards the back of the wing near the body not any towards the front of the wing

https://flic.kr/p/5471415965

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
It would make sence she is just a greywing mixed with types of pied, especially since if I remember correctly not many of her brothers and sisters were pied? :)

I had a hen that was recessive and domanant pied and greywing and she looked almost exactly how your girl does with hardly any markings at all :) Maybe she is also recessive pied in addition and the parents are split for it? :)

I would think opaline too since she has very faint markings on her head and the v of her back :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would make sence she is just a greywing mixed with types of pied, especially since if I remember correctly not many of her brothers and sisters were pied? :)

I had a hen that was recessive and domanant pied and greywing and she looked almost exactly how your girl does with hardly any markings at all :) Maybe she is also recessive pied in addition and the parents are split for it? :)

I would think opaline too since she has very faint markings on her head and the v of her back :)
Recessive pied actually crossed my mind the other day because the lack of markings Her mom's parents were carrying the gene Found that out later down the road, But With her dad i'm not sure I only bred his dad once, and his mom twice but two different males were used and your right neither her brother or sister are dominant pied
Opaline is a possibility since her dad is and her sister is - which is what I started out trying to figure out because that's how I sex them with this pairing All Opaline are female non Opaline are male

i have to go through my records and see if her dads parents ever gave me any recessive pieds, because off the top of my head I can't recall

for her hatch certificate i'll just put yellow face grey wing Opaline and leave out any body color Since i can't tell what color it is LOL and leave off any pied most of the people who buy mine are buying for pets so It's not a huge issue to them if the full mutation isn't on there :)
who knows i may decide to keep her For next years breeding and just put her with a Normal male that is not pied at all and see what i get :) I do need more females anyway and why spend money when I have an ADORABLE one right here :D :D

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Recessive pied actually crossed my mind the other day because the lack of markings Her mom's parents were carrying the gene Found that out later down the road, But With her dad i'm not sure I only bred his dad once, and his mom twice but two different males were used and your right neither her brother or sister are dominant pied
Opaline is a possibility since her dad is and her sister is - which is what I started out trying to figure out because that's how I sex them with this pairing All Opaline are female non Opaline are male

i have to go through my records and see if her dads parents ever gave me any recessive pieds, because off the top of my head I can't recall

for her hatch certificate i'll just put yellow face grey wing Opaline and leave out any body color Since i can't tell what color it is LOL and leave off any pied most of the people who buy mine are buying for pets so It's not a huge issue to them if the full mutation isn't on there :)
who knows i may decide to keep her For next years breeding and just put her with a Normal male that is not pied at all and see what i get :) I do need more females anyway and why spend money when I have an ADORABLE one right here :D :D
Let us know when you look through your records :)

So many birds carry it and hide it for generations even. If you know the mom could be split for from her parents odds are good the dad could be too, and would be my best guess with so few markings that the recesive pied mixed with the other pieds too. I love suprises! :D

She is adorible either way! I would be very tempted to keep her myself... how far are you from me again? :peep:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Let us know when you look through your records :)

So many birds carry it and hide it for generations even. If you know the mom is split for it odds are good the dad could be too, and would be my best guess with so few markings that the recesive pied mixed with the other pieds too. I love suprises! :D

She is adorible either way! I would be very tempted to keep her myself... how far are you from me again? :peep:
LOL around 4 hrs from you :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I have traveled longer for a budgie... :spy: :giggle:
lol i traveled 6hrs one way for my Albino Ringneck parakeet

I had a guy drive all the way here from Minnesota (12 hrs one way) for a pair of Lovebird babies because they looked IDENTICAL to his dearly departed female and could not find any near him

I have birds in Illinois, Kentucky , different parts of Ohio and Indiana :)

but for me personally the 6 hr trip to Louisville Ky has been my longest to go get a bird I try to keep them in our area specially now that our truck is about to knock on the bone yards door LOL

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
The recessive pied theory occurred to me even though I'm not very good at mutations. :p

I think you should keep him/her so you can see how much darker s/he becomes at first molt ... and so you can post pictures here! :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

YAY! :jumping1:
:D also decided to keep one of the Grey Cinnamon Female English Budgies too and in about 25 mins I'm off to get some more American budgies Same place me and you got them from in January Finally getting there again lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
:D also decided to keep one of the Grey Cinnamon Female English Budgies too and in about 25 mins I'm off to get some more American budgies Same place me and you got them from in January Finally getting there again lol
Awesome, can't wait to see pictures of what you get! The nice thing about the English hen you are keeping, is that she doesn't have any PIED! So you can use her to test breed some of the ones you're not sure about. ;)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Awesome, can't wait to see pictures of what you get! The nice thing about the English hen you are keeping, is that she doesn't have any PIED! So you can use her to test breed some of the ones you're not sure about. ;)
Yep :) But that won't be until after July She doesn't turn 1 til July

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.