Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted earlier about these birds, but got some answers I didn't understand.
This is the original post:
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?p=1086726#post1086726

I was wondering about the color mutation of the female. People said she was

"an opaline goldenface or YF2 dominant pied!"
or
"probably golden face or YF2 opaline single factor dominant pied cobalt."

I was really surprised as I thought she was just a green opaline dominant pied.
I asked a followup about it but didn't get an answer. So I took another picture in different lighting.

Here is another that makes the green look different

Also in the last post people seemed to think the chicks were opaline (I blame the bad lighting) and the chicks down feathers were lighter when they first came in. I'm now certain none of the chicks are opaline, as all the down has come in gray on all of them. Here are two of the oldest. So far three seem to be pied, and three of them normal.

And then the dad is a normal light green but due to reason has a a large amount of yellow on him now. Here are two pics, before and after:

So sorry to repeat myself, but I'm still really curious to find out what people think! What is the mutation of the mom? How can you tell if she is blue YF or green? If she is green, is she dark green or olive?

2) Has anyone ever seen anything like what is happening to this male?

3) What can I look for in the chicks new feathers to give me any clues about the genetics of the mom or dad, or chicks?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Your hen is a cobalt :) Because of the yellow gene, it makes her appear a greenish colour. Take my bird, Blair, for example. See how his chest appears to almost be green? Better yet, this is a past hen, Jazz. Though she appears to be a soft, diluted green, she's actually a sky blue.

I'd agree with her being a YF2 opaline dominant pied cobalt.

As for the rest, I can't help you though.

Reactions: epo

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your hen is a cobalt :) Because of the yellow gene, it makes her appear a greenish colour. Take my bird, Blair, for example. See how his chest appears to almost be green? Better yet, this is a past hen, Jazz. Though she appears to be a soft, diluted green, she's actually a sky blue.

I'd agree with her being a YF2 opaline dominant pied cobalt.

As for the rest, I can't help you though.
Thanks! Yeah, I never would have guessed!

How can you tell it isn't just a green bird, just the particular shade of the green?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Th babies don't look opaline to me. All male chicks will be split to opaline as mom is a Yf2 (possibly GF instead) opaline dominant pied.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YF2 opaline dominant pied cobalt!!!
Yes, yes I'm convinced!

What I'm asking is how do you tell if you have a goldenface or YF2 as opposed to a green? Is it the sea green color? If the chicks are yellowface, will they have blue feathers around their hind legs, for example? The oldest chicks has blue feathers around the rear, and legs, and that same olivey blueish green on the body. Is that just how young regular greens would look too?
He's not opaline or domiant pied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.