Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the advice of susanbudgies, I am posting a picture of Stormy :)

I originally thought she was a greywing opaline grey, but maybe she is dilute? I guess she couldn't be grey with blue cheek patches, right? She does have a clear patch on the back of her head. Any ideas?

(sorry for the frayed tail; she is a very active girl)

this is Noah, her mate:

Any ideas on possible colors? I don't know if Noah is split for blue, or what either of them could be carrying (makes it that much more fun though :) )

Thank you in advance! I have always had an interest in genetics, never understood why everyone else in high school biology didn't get it, lol.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
stromy, looks like theo's eldest chick!! she has the same colour wing markings & she is sort of the same colour but she has half blue feathers!! :D, but i must say stormy is beautiful!! lovely colours, but not sure about the mutation!! :p

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
to me she looks like an opaline greaywing mauve. but im not 100%

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
She is opaline greywing grey. Grey budgies have either blue or grey cheek patches, a mauve would have purple cheek patches.

If Noah is not split for blue the chicks will be green or grey green. If he is split for blue you'd get blue and grey as well.

Noah would have be split for greywing or opaline to get either of these mutations

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to update; these two have 7 chicks in the nest; oldest is 19 days. I ended up with 2 greens, two blues, two pieds (one blue, looks like, and the other green), and the youngest unknown as of now (only 8 days old). Out of 7, I should have had at least one grey or grey green, correct? What are the chances she is not a greywing grey? Could she be a dilute blue?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i would have expected some greys or greygreens, but she does look like a greywing grey opaline to me.... so maybe it was just a fluke that you got no greys???

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Tonic, I agree. I know genetics and mathmatical probability don't always add up but it was strange. They had 7, lol. I MAY plan for another nest this summer; depending on how things go and if I can line up homes beforehand. I am hoping she won't try for a second clutch now as I would prefer for her and Noah to have a long rest first.

As a side note; it appears both carry pied, and Noah is split for blue, and it appears opaline as well. So pretty cool :).

·
Registered
93 Posts
wen i first read that she got pied babies i was shocked cuz neither parents are pieds.. then i remembered the recesive pied mutation. i always think of the dominant pied whenever i hear 'pied' cuz recesive pieds are rare here in Maldives..
stormy is very pretty. i would like to see pics of the chicks.. hope you will upload some soon..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
cant grey show up in blue though? and be masked and difficult to see?
maybe one of your 2 blues has grey in them that cant be seen yet.
i really am clueless tho LOL
grey is a dominant gene that has the effect of washing over whatever colour the budgie is and altering it, so a blue will look grey and a green looks grey green. so if it is present it would be visible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
as babies it might be difficult to see and you might get a better look by handling them (if you dont already)..
i agree that probablity and genetics dont always walk to same road. you might have to breed three or more clutches before both the mathematical probability and the results are in line..

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
You will never get an accurate percentage from just one clutch. You might find that the next clutch are all grey. The percentages usually work out over several clutches

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will never get an accurate percentage from just one clutch. You might find that the next clutch are all grey. The percentages usually work out over several clutches
That'll probably be how it works out, lol. I even had names picked out for grey babies, lol. And with Mystique and Noah I was so hoping Boo would be blue, so I would have one of each expected color, but nope. I don't think I will set up his parents again, because Mystique is an older girl. But I am hoping that at least one of George and Mystique's little ones will pair off with one of Stormy and Noah's for late next year. I should have a chance at more pieds :).

Hi Sunna :). You can see updated pictures of the little buggers on the breeding journal forum, or just click on the links below my posts. George and Mystique's journal is also posted :D. I am handling the little guys already and they are quite tame. They are just too cute not to pick up and snuggle :p.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.