Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to start a thread to keep track of the coloring of the babies that Stormy and Buddy have hatched to try to gain some understanding of why or how a particular baby is colored in such a way. I'll post photos this evening of the two oldest birds and see if anyone can weigh in on what color they will be.

First I had a question on what something means. One of the two oldest chicks has a grayish colored skin tone on the wings and the back of the head, where the rest of the body is pinkish. The other bird, hatched same day, is all pinkish skin and the feathers appearing on it now appear to be white.

I'm curious about the grayish skin tone of the one bird and why is it that way? I'll post photos of the two this evening so that you can see what it is exactly, that I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Seems to me the chick just has a darker pigment. Just like people some budgies skin color is different than others. The lightest being an albino or lutino with zero pigment and the darkest being an olive green or grey bird.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
the darker pigment appears as the feather begin to grow in. while the feathers are still under the skin you can see the pigment, so the dark areas are dark feathers about to grow out. all white or yellow birds stay looking pink until the feathers start to open and you can see the colour.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Wanted to start a thread to keep track of the coloring of the babies that Stormy and Buddy have hatched to try to gain some understanding of why or how a particular baby is colored in such a way. I'll post photos this evening of the two oldest birds and see if anyone can weigh in on what color they will be.

First I had a question on what something means. One of the two oldest chicks has a grayish colored skin tone on the wings and the back of the head, where the rest of the body is pinkish. The other bird, hatched same day, is all pinkish skin and the feathers appearing on it now appear to be white.

I'm curious about the grayish skin tone of the one bird and why is it that way? I'll post photos of the two this evening so that you can see what it is exactly, that I am talking about.
Hi Rod
The feathers are white you say , do you mean the down, if so that is a good indication the bird is an opaline.

Can you post some pictures :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I suppose I do mean the down. I meant to post some pictures last night, but had a situation arise that didn't allow me to. Will try to do that this evening.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yes, it is the dark feathers (the real feathers as against the down) showing through. the younger one appears to have areas with white feathers coming through so looks like a pied!

if they have white down rather than grey then they could well be opaline too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats about a 3 day old photo. I really need to get my photos resized and added to the journal. I'm kind of looking for egg #7 to hatch today.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

How will these come out in color?
The top one appears to be a normal cobalt blue and the bottom one a opaline recessive sky blue pied , perhaps even yellow face .I say recessive as i cannot see a clear head patch as in a dominant pied :)

Any one else having a guess?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the explaination, I'm still trying to figure out the differences between mutations.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
As much I still read Rod, the mutations seem to get lost in my mind somewhere. Am picking some bits up though thankfully :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.