Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was two weeks before Christmas 2013 when a cheeky canary wandered off the streets into my Auntys office. One of her work mates got a cage and luckliy enough the canary knew where he was safest and hopped into the cage. Two weeks past with no sign of someone looking for a canary.

And then it was Christmas when all the family got together at my Auntys house. This is when I was introduced to the canary. Out of the blue my Anuty asks me "Would you like to have him?" as they did not feel like looking after him themselves. "Of course I'll take him!" so on the day we were leaving we put him in a box to take him home.

My cousin suggested I name him Pippin as he always says "pip pip pip". After the 2 hour journey home we got him into his new cage. I had never looked after a canary before so straight away I hopped on the internet to search for information.

Two/three weeks after we had him, as it was summer, he started moulting. There were feathers everywhere! We weren't sure if he was male or female or even how old he was. I read males were the singers but after we brought him home we hadn't heard anything from him.

Towards the end of his moult, after a month or two, he was finally starting to get his voice back. I would sit with him before going off to class, just whistling to him, watching his throat moving, trying to get that sound out.

It's now been a whole year since I've had him and it seems the only way to get him to stop singing is to give him his greens and veges, he absoluely loves them. He has given us lots of joy over the past year. It never gets boring watching him being out of his cage, exploring the room, playing with thread and even tissues.

I would definately recommend getting a canary for those of you who love watching the funny things birds get up to.

Attachments

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,202 Posts
What a great story! I absolutely love that third photo. He looks so inquisitive. Congrats on your wonderful luck in getting him and on your fantastic year with him!!! Pippin sure is lucky to have you!

-Kristen

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
What an adorable little guy! God bless you for opening your home and heart to him/her! Hoping you have many, many more happy, healthy years together! Love the third picture! What a cutie!! Makes me want a canary too!!!:D Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone.

Canaries can be tamed from a very young age. Though they arent sociable like parrots are.
My little guy isn't tamed. Although he's quite comfortable being near me he still doesnt trust my hands. He likes to keep to himself but gives me occasional kisses on my nose through the cage bars and lands on my laptop while I'm working.

·
Member of the Month Dec 2014
1,089 Posts
Pippin is so precious. I love it that you allow him free flight time! I was given a little hen canary last year, but I haven't allowed her free flight as she only has one foot and it is deformed. But she is becoming so agile about landing on various perches in her cage that I'm tempted by your story to see what she would do in the birdroom with my budgies. They do visit her through the bars every day during free flight time.
I would love to see pictures of your little one flying about. They are so curious, aren't they? And I'm glad you give him toys -- so many people don't realize that canaries are quite inquisitive and deserve more than 2 perches and a swing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.