Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section. I'm new to caring for budgies, didn't have budgies since my childhood, that's a long time ago. I would be thankful if you helped me with a situation. So, Here is the story:

First encounter:
Last week, I found a white/light blue budgie at my window, I tried to interact with it but then it flew strait into my room, it seemed weak, shy, tired and anxious, as if it's been on the run for a long time. It has no leg band, so I tried to contact neighbors and people in my area, but my search went nowhere. I took it to a bird shop and the guy told me it's a female, about 1 year old, and underweight. I bought a yellow male, so they can have each other's company If I'm not around, in addition to the largest cage available for them both, and got it set up with all amenities.

For some reason I don't trust everything the shop guy said, I research and learn everyday, but couldn't figure some things out, like sex and age. For example, the white/light blue budgie has a red eye, probably because of lack of melanin, I also can't tell what her cere color indicates cause she's somehow young.

I attached some detailed photos of both budgies, and would be grateful if you helped me get the following determined for both of them:
1- Sex
2- Age
3- Exact type/mutation name
4- Any additional comments regarding health/appearance

Life in the new home:
Let's assume that the shop guy is right for now, I'll refer to the white/light blue as she and the yellow as he.
She's doing OK now, eating, preening and chirping, but she's not as loud or as vocal as him. She seeks his company all the time, she's desperate for it, trying to preen the yellow budgie and cuddle with him, but he's not approving, he doesn't want to share the same perch with her and flies to the other perch, but he lets her sometimes -depending on the mood- to be very close on the same perch, but doesn't let her touch him, he tells her off and avoids her which makes her depressed and lonely, but he doesn't mind her eating with him and he's very tolerant to her standing in the middle of the food bowl eating and leaving small space for him to eat. I know it's all too early and they probably need more time, but I feel sorry for her, cause she's the one who needs more love and care I think, and I really got concerned when I saw her today trying to escape the cage two times after a couple of failed attempts to bond with him, sticking her head out of the cage between the bars. She seems uninterested in me, In contrast to the yellow one who shows more interest in the sounds I make, the budgie sounds and the music I play for them when I'm around. I'm trying to focus my attention on her to make him think somehow that she's worthy of attention, but no progress so far.

My dilemma:
I'm torn between two things, spending time with them so they get used to my presence and voice, and giving them more time alone, so the yellow budgie bonds more with her without me being a distraction. It's like a love triangle situation or something, I'm worried about her, she's interested in him, he's interested in my sounds & music. What I seek is that they bond with each other first and then with me.

So, my dear budgie experts, what would you suggest?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for taking the time to read.

Attachments

·
Administrator
55,939 Posts
The white budgie is a female. She is very young.
The yellow is a male. He is young but I don't believe he's quite as young as the female.

Now that you have a mixed gender pair, you are going to need to do everything possible to prevent breeding.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies

The budgies should have been quarantined from one another to prevent the spread of possible illness.

Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.

Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up.
This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.
If there are no Avian Vets in your area, you should find a good Exotic Pet Veterinarian that has experience dealing with small birds.

How large is the cage you bought for them? Length x Width x Height?
The very minimum size for two budgies would be 30" x 18" x 18"
The spacing between the bars should be no more than 1/2"
If the budgie can put its head between the bars then the bars are obviously spaced too far apart and you need to replace that cage ASAP.

I recommend you remove the dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.

Pressure Sores

The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Posting on the Forums

Let's Talk Budgies!

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

Quarantine IS Necessary!

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Resource Directory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response and the resources.

The white budgie is a female. She is very young.
The yellow is a male. He is young but I don't believe he's quite as young as the female.
Can you estimate how old they are approximately?
Is the male younger or older than 1 year old?

The budgies should have been quarantined from one another to prevent the spread of possible illness.
I read about the quarantine right after I put them in the same cage, it was too late, the whole thing happened fast, I would have done all necessary research first, if I had planned having budgies. I did what I thought to be the best for her at the time. I hope all goes well.

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up.
I'll do that as soon as possible.

How large is the cage you bought for them?
Cage is 25"x15"x18" LxWxH, The spacing between the bars is actually 0.6". I think she's able to stick her head between the bars cause she's small, but her body won't go through. I'm trying to entertain her as much as I can by introducing some toys, I think she'll be fine eventually.
The cage and most of the accessories I bought are temporary till I'm done with learning the basics. I'll buy a larger cage very soon and replace some of the accessories including the perches.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have gorgeous budgies buddy! How I wish I could help you but I'm also a beginner. Again nothing to worry coz everyone is very helpful and

·
Administrator
55,939 Posts
The male looks to be younger than 1 year to me. If he is a Recessive Pied then he will retain the fully black eyes throughout his life and will not develop iris rings.
Both budgies look to be healthy in the picture. Spend as much time with the little female as you can. It sounds like she needs the comfort and reassurance right now.

·
Super Moderator
18,252 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums~

You've gotten great advice and resources above from FaeryBee. Please be sure to read through all the links and other information provided to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

We hope to see you around, and please keep us posted on how things go!

Cheers 👋

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.