Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promise I won't just post a lot of questions on here weekly. :) But, I thought it wise to remove the mirrors and the one fuzzy cloth hide (I did leave one but it's a more durable fabric and isn't chewed on at all. White one sleeps in it at night and seems to really like it. Once I see a nibble, I'll remove it too. I don't think they like to pick at that type of material though). The past owner had 3cloth hides in there and 3 mirrors.

My question is though, once Blue (names still pending) noticed I had removed all his mirrors he flew to all the places they were and chirped and looked around like he was looking for the mirror birds. When should I consider more negative for him than him talking to himself in the mirrors? Like how long should he do this is and how long is unhealthy. I did notice that he didn't peck at White for once when my hand was in removing them. That could have been coincidence though. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,576 Posts
It's very good that you removed the mirrors. He's already gotten attached to the "other birds" when he should be working on bonding more with White and getting to know you as well. If he were allowed to talk to the mirror birds forever, he would become even more aggressive and territorial as he would think he's "defending" his "flock". In extreme cases birds can even become depressed or malnourished due to pining for the other birds' attentions. He will get used to it and soon forget his time with the mirror birds, until then be sure to talk to him often and give him lots of toys to distract him. He may be unsettled about the loss of his "friends" for a while but it's perfectly normal. Budgies are unable to tell that it is their own reflection so this is normal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's very good that you removed the mirrors. He's already gotten attached to the "other birds" when he should be working on bonding more with White and getting to know you as well. If he were allowed to talk to the mirror birds forever, he would become even more aggressive and territorial as he would think he's "defending" his "flock". In extreme cases birds can even become depressed or malnourished due to pining for the other birds' attentions. He will get used to it and soon forget his time with the mirror birds, until then be sure to talk to him often and give him lots of toys to distract him. He may be unsettled about the loss of his "friends" for a while but it's perfectly normal. Budgies are unable to tell that it is their own reflection so this is normal.
Thank you. I do agree, he definitely seemed closer to his mirror self than to white. I really hope this helps them get along better. White is so quiet and sweet I hate seeing blue peck it head. He just moves over and never pecks back. Now that I think of it, he'd usually peck him in the direction away from the mirrors. I am glad I did remove them, thanks for making me feel a little better. I did feel bad for him, now I think he'll be happier in the end. Instead of talking to birds that don't respond as they should.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the colored birds (called morphs on the reptile world. Not sure what it called in birds....mutations?) I have are skyblue yellow face and an albino? The past owner was told by the breeder that they were Teal and White. I've never heard of a teal Budgie though. Only skyblue, cobalt and violet for blue shades. Though nowadays I'm sure there are plenty more than when I was into budgies last. Thank you.

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
Thank you for removing the mirrors. That was definitely the right thing to do and StarlingWings provided an excellent explanation for you. :)

You are correct, the coloration of budgies is called their mutation.
Take a look at the stickies at the top of the Mutations and Genetics section of the forum. You will find lots of great information there.
Mutations and Genetics

We know the one budgie is an albino.

The other is a yellow-face and StarlingWings can give you specifics on whether it is considered sky-blue, cobalt blue, SF/DF, etc. etc.
She's the BEST when it comes to mutations.!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for removing the mirrors. That was definitely the right thing to do and StarlingWings provided an excellent explanation for you. :)

You are correct, the coloration of budgies is called their mutation.
Take a look at the stickies at the top of the Mutations and Genetics section of the forum. You will find lots of great information there.
Mutations and Genetics

We know the one budgie is an albino.

The other is a yellow-face and StarlingWings can give you specifics on whether it is considered sky-blue, cobalt blue, SF/DF, etc. etc.
She's the BEST when it comes to mutations.!
Thank you, she does seem very knowledgeable. I appreciate all you guys do on this site. It really is the best place to come for info and proper care, which is something I Steve to do my very best on. Thank you for the links as well.

·
Super Moderator
19,576 Posts
It really is the best place to come for info and proper care, which is something I Steve to do my very best on. Thank you for the links as well.
And that’s why it’s great having members like you 🤗

I checked your other post and your blue boy is a sky blue yellowface type II pied budgie. If he has any white anywhere else, he’s single factor dominant pied, but if only his flight feathers are white, then he’s clearflight pied ☺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I checked your other post and your blue boy is a sky blue yellowface type II pied budgie. If he has any white anywhere else, he’s single factor dominant pied, but if only his flight feathers are white, then he’s clearflight pied ☺
Thank you. Yup, that's the only place he has white. He has a spot on his head that's a very light yellow. He's very pretty, they both are. I was confused when they said he was teal, as I've never heard of that. But as I've said, I've been out of the Birdy world for a while.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Actually after double checking, he does have white feathers on his vent and I think a light patch on his body under his wings, but that's it. So would that make him Sky Blue Yellow Face Type II Single Factor Dominant Pied or still just clearflight pied? Thank you very much. I like knowing all I can about the pets I have. They are getting along much better after mirror removal. Actually seem more interested in us as well.

·
Super Moderator
19,576 Posts
Actually after double checking, he does have white feathers on his vent and I think a light patch on his body under his wings, but that's it. So would that make him Sky Blue Yellow Face Type II Single Factor Dominant Pied or still just clearflight pied? Thank you very much. I like knowing all I can about the pets I have. They are getting along much better after mirror removal. Actually seem more interested in us as well.
I still think he’s clearflight pied :) Usually most birds have light patches there!
He seems to be doing much better lately, great job. Also, the yellow face II mutation causes some blending of yellow with the blue so that’s why he looks teal ;) My girl is also yellow face II but her shade of teal is more dilute as she is also opaline.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still think he’s clearflight pied :) Usually most birds have light patches there!
He seems to be doing much better lately, great job. Also, the yellow face II mutation causes some blending of yellow with the blue so that’s why he looks teal ;) My girl is also yellow face II but her shade of teal is more dilute as she is also opaline.
That's very cool. Thank you. It's interesting learning about the mutations. I will read that link about it today, didn't get a chance to last night. It's similar to leopard gecko morphs, but as they don't have feathers, the blending of colors is not exactly the same. More so it's the patterns that show, or lack there of and colors may be lighter, darker or one color or the other from whichever parent, but they don't blend like that. Some morphs also have more health issues than others. Is there anything like that I need to worry about or look out for with my mutations? I know in other albino animals their eyes may be sensitive to light and they're sometimes prone to blindness.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have Timothy hay mat and a grass mat, would it be safe to use that to make a hut or chew toy for them? They're used for rodents usually, no chemicals or anything on them. Just woven grass/hay.

·
Super Moderator
19,576 Posts
Timothy hay is fine for budgies :) Woven grass mats are also safe, provided they do not have any cotton or other similar fibers woven in.

Albino and lutino (the green-based version of albino) budgies can be prone to light sensitivity or poor vision, so it is never recommended to breed two ino budgies together as there is a high chance their chicks may be infirm or in poor health. Other than that, most mutations are independent of health in budgies! However, budgies called "English budgies" which is not a genetic mutation but rather a specific breed of budgie bred for show, may often experience myriad health problems compared to their Australian/American budgie counterparts since they have been overbred to have exaggerated feathers such as fluffier feathers, larger heads, etc, which can cause them health issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Timothy hay is fine for budgies :) Woven grass mats are also safe, provided they do not have any cotton or other similar fibers woven in.

Albino and lutino (the green-based version of albino) budgies can be prone to light sensitivity or poor vision, so it is never recommended to breed two ino budgies together as there is a high chance their chicks may be infirm or in poor health. Other than that, most mutations are independent of health in budgies! However, budgies called "English budgies" which is not a genetic mutation but rather a specific breed of budgie bred for show, may often experience myriad health problems compared to their Australian/American budgie counterparts since they have been overbred to have exaggerated feathers such as fluffier feathers, larger heads, etc, which can cause them health issues.
Thanks. These are all organic and all grass or Timothy mats. I wove them in a circle, strung bird safe hooks for hanging and used those to replace the cloth huts they had since they liked the huts but I didn't like them having cloth. I'll be making them all kinds of diy toys. Any suggestions? Like for example, what materials are safe and for chewing?

Also, I have read a little about English budgies and health issues. Made me think of how Brachycephalic (flat faced) dogs have all kinds of breathing and skin issues due to how they were bred, especially for show. I believe my birds are the American breed and not English. They are the correct size and look.

·
Super Moderator
19,576 Posts
Thanks. These are all organic and all grass or Timothy mats. I wove them in a circle, strung bird safe hooks for hanging and used those to replace the cloth huts they had since they liked the huts but I didn't like them having cloth. I'll be making them all kinds of diy toys. Any suggestions? Like for example, what materials are safe and for chewing?

Also, I have read a little about English budgies and health issues. Made me think of how Brachycephalic (flat faced) dogs have all kinds of breathing and skin issues due to how they were bred, especially for show. I believe my birds are the American breed and not English. They are the correct size and look.
Yep, your guys are definitely American/Australian type. For budgie safe materials, check out these links:

Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers of Snuggle huts, tents, fabric housing, rope perches and tasseled toys

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I've said, I do plan to eventually get another budgie, just as a baby to bond better with it. I'd make sure it's male, as my two are males. Would I be able to integrate the new one in with my boys eventually or is that not likely to work out with two older and one young male? (This is a question years before it's gonna happen. But I like being prepared)

Also, what is the likelihood that I'd be able to bond well with these two that I have, given they're a pair and 2 years old already? Though I do plan on doing my due diligence and trying. They already are ok with my hand being in and close their eyes when it's in there and Im talking to them. (As long as I don't move more than a snails pace haha.) I'm assuming that's a sign they don't see my hand as too much of a threat and are just being cautious when I move it. Would they enjoy listening to bird sounds on the tv or would that stress them? And are there any sounds or words I can use to help maybe getting them to begin mimicking? I know they're a little old to try that, but ya never know. Thanks so much, you guys are awesome. I hope become some form of member here and help any way that I can. Doesn't have to be moderator, at all. Just offering help any way I can, or just conversation to those who need it. :)

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
If you get another budgie someday in the future, you can definitely keep its cage next to the cage where your two current budgies are housed.
When you have three birds, one budgie may end up being bullied or simply the "third wheel" and left out by the other two. However, each situation is unique and sometimes all three will get along just fine. Even if the two you have now don't take to the third so that it could eventually be housed with them (assuming you have a proper sized cage for three) they will probably be able to enjoy out-of-cage time together.

Some budgies will mimic human speech.
Others have no interest whatsoever in anything other than “budgie talk”.
Start with one simply word or phrase.
“Pretty bird” or “Whatcha Doing?” are favorite beginning phrases for many people.

Say the word or phrase repeatedly for three or four times in a row, multiple times throughout the day. Use the same tone and inflection each time.

Bonding with any budgie takes time and patience. One can definitely bond with an older bird but you must take things slowly - at their pace and recognize they may never want to "hang out" on your person. ;) You can certainly have a bond without having a budgie that sits on you.

I do not recommend playing budgie sounds.
Nature sounds or music is much better.
When one plays budgie sounds, it can encourage your birds to think there are other budgies nearby that they are unable to find or see. This can be stressful rather than relaxing.
It's kind of fun to find out what types of music YOUR budgies enjoy most!

With regard to your activity on the forum, I sincerely recommend you read as many of the Budgie Articles and all of the stickies at the top of each section of the forum. There is SO much wonderful information offered here and you will learn a great deal
As indicated in our "Posting on the Forums" link, our Talk Budgies staff discourages members from offering "opinions".
We ask that advice be left to staff and a very few members that we believe have the necessary knowledge and experience to weigh in on particular questions.

I'm very glad you are enjoying the forums so far and are finding the information offered here to be helpful in your journey with your two new friends!

Best wishes

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very much!
Since this is my first albino, I have a question. I know they're albino because their cells cannot produce melanin, leaving them absent of color. My question is, can you tell if mine has very light blue or very light pink iris? I know the pupil is a deep red color. Trying to pick names but would like to know all their details and personality
Bird Pet supply Beak Parrot Bird supply

traits first. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you get another budgie someday in the future, you can definitely keep its cage next to the cage where your two current budgies are housed.
When you have three birds, one budgie may end up being bullied or simply the "third wheel" and left out by the other two. However, each situation is unique and sometimes all three will get along just fine. Even if the two you have now don't take to the third so that it could eventually be housed with them (assuming you have a proper sized cage for three) they will probably be able to enjoy out-of-cage time together.

Some budgies will mimic human speech.
Others have no interest whatsoever in anything other than “budgie talk”.
Start with one simply word or phrase.
“Pretty bird” or “Whatcha Doing?” are favorite beginning phrases for many people.

Say the word or phrase repeatedly for three or four times in a row, multiple times throughout the day. Use the same tone and inflection each time.

Bonding with any budgie takes time and patience. One can definitely bond with an older bird but you must take things slowly - at their pace and recognize they may never want to "hang out" on your person. ;) You can certainly have a bond without having a budgie that sits on you.

I do not recommend playing budgie sounds.
Nature sounds or music is much better.
When one plays budgie sounds, it can encourage your birds to think there are other budgies nearby that they are unable to find or see. This can be stressful rather than relaxing.
It's kind of fun to find out what types of music YOUR budgies enjoy most!

With regard to your activity on the forum, I sincerely recommend you read as many of the Budgie Articles and all of the stickies at the top of each section of the forum. There is SO much wonderful information offered here and you will learn a great deal
As indicated in our "Posting on the Forums" link, our Talk Budgies staff discourages members from offering "opinions".
We ask that advice be left to staff and a very few members that we believe have the necessary knowledge and experience to weigh in on particular questions.

I'm very glad you are enjoying the forums so far and are finding the information offered here to be helpful in your journey with your two new friends!

Best wishes
I thought I saw somewhere that budgies shouldn't have those coconut shell huts/toys, is that correct. Those look like birds would love them. Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts