Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That is correct, all too often they are seen as a nesting site and serve to stimulate hormonal activity.
Even if I have 2 males, should I not have one? I don't know if that'll cause them to fight or not. But one really likes to sleep inside things and the other likes picking at items. So I was thinking it'd be fun for them, IF it didn't make them territorial and fight. They do have a grass hide that I made from a grass mat and they aren't fighting any more than they already bicker. Which isn't a lot, more so looks like they're just playing. Not biting or screaming. Just take turns following and chasing each other around the cage. Then they stop and do their own things.

·
Administrator
59,479 Posts
No, you should never have a coconut shell in the cage.
Even with two males you should not be providing hiding places or things that could be construed as nesting sites.
Hormonal urges apply to males just as they apply to females.
If you want a grass mat, use it as a trapeze for them to sit or lay on and chew.

Purple Creative arts Natural material Triangle Ornament

Essentials to a Great Cage

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No, you should never have a coconut shell in the cage.
Even with two males you should not be providing hiding places or things that could be construed as nesting sites.
Hormonal urges apply to males just as they apply to females.
If you want a grass mat, use it as a trapeze for them to sit or lay on and chew.

View attachment 264200

Essentials to a Great Cage
I made one out of a grass mat but it's very open. I don't know if they consider it a nesting site or not. I should have mentioned that it's wide enough for a rabbit to go through. Haha. It's mostly uncovered by now anyway, they've had a good time tearing it apart. No territorial behavior so far so I'm assuming they see it as a toy and not a hide given it's size. Poor previous owner had 3 fabric and fuzzy hides in there. And 3 mirrors. I removed all those and the occasional chasing stopped.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts