Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so since Wasabi has become healthy again, he's so strong and flies absolutely everywhere. Sometimes he doesn't even want to go anywhere, he'll just jump off the perch, do a quick loop and land right back in the same spot. He's also great at hovering on the spot for a good 5 seconds. He just seems incredibly acrobatic and agile, and when he goes all out on a flight, he's genuinely so darn quick. He'll shoot past at Mach 3 like it's no biggie.

Chick, on the other hand, seems to be a very weak flier? Neither of them were clipped from a young age, they've both grown naturally. She just seems... averse to flying much. She's more comfortable hopping from perch to perch or climbing up the bars of the cage than she is with flying. Even when I open the doors for them, Wasabi will zip right out with zero issue, but Chick will have to amp herself up over and over until she gains the courage to fly, or - more often than not - she'll just refuse to jump and wait for me to pick her up.

What's up with this? Is it a sign she has weak flight muscles? Is there anything I can do to help? Do some budgies just prefer being walkers rather than fliers? Even when she's going up to bed, she hops everywhere and I can see her hesitate if a gap is too high, she'll bop a few times and either attempt the jump and fail (fall down to a perch below) or chicken out and climb up instead via bars. Wasabi doesn't have this issue at all. He'll look straight up at a perch with a steep vertical climb and just slingshot himself over with a strong couple of flaps.

The reason I ask is because I just witnessed Chick make a jump, fail, and fall to the bottom 1/3rd of the cage before flapping her wings and correcting by landing on a perch. If it was Wasabi who fell, he'd make the sheer vertical climb back up to where he was initially during his fall, he's also much quicker at correcting himself during a fall. And last night, I decided to check in on them after 15 minutes of the lights being dimmed, and saw Chick clinging to the side of the cage and too scared to make her way back up as it maybe wasn't bright enough for her to see? She must have slipped and fell during a hop to a different perch. Wasabi would have just flown up.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just want to know whether this is normal and I can love Chick in all her laziness, or if there are exercises I should do to help her gain confidence and flight muscles. When she's out of the cage, she's also hesitant to fly, but she's more than capable of it! Just too often she'll be above me on top of the cage and will look down with the "Come get me, dad!" look on her face, I'd say 1/10 times she'll fly down herself.

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
Many of my birds do not do laps, although they are all fully flighted many are content just to fly from cage to cage, they could use the exercise and I would like to see them all doing laps but I just let them do as they please. Assuming there is nothing physically wrong that is inhibiting her ability to fly I would just let her do as she chooses. Sometimes if the nails get too long it can interfere with the ability to grip, are her nails ok? Is her eyesight ok?

·
Administrator
57,360 Posts
Some of my budgies love to fly laps and some of them have never been into it at all -- they just fly from cage to cage and sometimes even climb on the cage from perch to perch. What you are seeing with Chick is quite "normal". Every budgie is unique. Just like some people like to run 5 Ks and some of us only walk (or choose to watch). LOL!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts