Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so some of you know my bird, Sunny.

Well, I used to think I knew her too! I recently bred her to my male, Banjo.

Banjo is a normal light green violet budgie, possibly split for opaline and/or recessive pied.

And I THOUGHT that Sunny was a yellow-based Dark eyed clear. (Clearflight pied/recessive pied mixed creates solid yellow bird.) I believed she was this mutation because she never developed iris rings, and her eyes were black.

This definitely eliminates the lutino option, since her eyes are BLACK. But at this point in identifying she's either a DEC or a DF Spangle split for recessive pied. (The lack of iris rings can be caused by being split for rec. pied.)

So DEC or DF Spangle.

Well I went with DEC since it was a slightly more probable option at the moment in my opinion, but no big deal if she ended up being different, right? And when I breed her I'll know for sure!

Wrong.

Clearflight pied is semi-dominant so.... we're expecting at least some if not all clearflight pied chicks, right? No. Neither chick is clearflight pied.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Both

Okay, so we have two very not clearflight pied chicks. So my next thought is, "Hey, maybe she's DF Spangle split for recessive pied. That would explain the eyes!" But no. The babies are not SF spangle.

On a brighter note, I think I've figured out what the babies are! I think that the first is a normal light green violet male, potentially split for rec. pied and/or opaline. The second I think is an opaline light green violet female potentially split for rec. pied.

The real mystery here is WHAT THE HECK IS SUNNY? Is she still possibly a DEC? Or some mysterious new mutation I've never heard of?

So, what do you think? I need the experts' opinions! Please help me, I'm SO CONFUSED.

Baby 1 - Male/Normal Light Green/Violet
Baby 2 - Female/Opaline/Light Green/Violet
Sunny - DEC????

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh believe me I've done my homework! But I'll definitely check with the more experienced members before I tell any customers for sure what the mutations are. I don't want to disappoint anyone! Also with the genders. Can you believe that I actually have a MALE WAITING LIST? :rolleyes: People just don't understand that females can be just as wonderful!

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Wow. I'm impressed that you can tell so much
about those little babies. They both look like
baby Banjo to me. They certainly are precious,
whatever long genetic banner they may end up
waving :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'm just mostly confused about Sunny. I think she still may be DEC, but I'm not certain. I'm hoping Dries, Lindsay or Erin can maybe shed some light. :)

·
Budgie Nut
3,087 Posts
Can't help you with the technical stuff (to me
they are just blue, yellow, white, green e.t.c) :laughing:
but your birdies are beautiful! :D

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Sunny is a dark eyed clear, if she was a df spangle you could not get normal chicks :)

Genetically speaking half of the chicks will be clearflights when a sf DEC is mated to a normal, and when you look at hundreds of chicks from a pairing like this it ends up being about 50/50. But on an individual clutch basis you could easily get all clearflights or all normals, like in your case :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a white DEC (juliet) that I was confused about too.She has a small patch of color on the rump so I still don't know if she is a dark eyed clear or recessive pied. She mated with romeo a green clearflight pied who I thought was split for blue but all the babies are yellow so now I think hes a violet green clearflight pied. I think the babies are a dark green greywing, a dark green greywing clear-flight pied, and a violet green clearflight pied just like the daddy. I can't tell what the last one is yet.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't help you with the technical stuff (to me
they are just blue, yellow, white, green e.t.c) :laughing:
but your birdies are beautiful! :D
Thank you!

Sunny is a dark eyed clear, if she was a df spangle you could not get normal chicks :)

Genetically speaking half of the chicks will be clearflights when a DEC is mated to a normal, and when you look at hundreds of chicks from a pairing like this it ends up being about 50/50. But on an individual clutch basis you could easily get all clearflights or all normals, like in your case :)
Alright thank you Lindsey! I suspected something like that. :) I'm planning on breeding her again so there will be more opportunity for it to crop up. :)

I have a white DEC (juliet) that I was confused about too.She has a small patch of color on the rump so I still don't know if she is a dark eyed clear or recessive pied. She mated with romeo a green clearflight pied who I thought was split for blue but all the babies are yellow so now I think hes a violet green clearflight pied. I think the babies are a dark green greywing, a dark green greywing clear-flight pied, and a violet green clearflight pied just like the daddy. I can't tell what the last one is yet.

They're all beautiful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.