Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a couple of bonded budgies from work - they couldn't bear the possibility of separating them so they gave them to me! They were both obviously sent to us way younger than 8 weeks. In the big exhibit they were being pushed away from food by older budgies and also had evidence of being plucked. When I was able to do a closer examination the littler one was super super skinny (very prominent keelbone, no extra muscle/flesh) but eats just fine!

They are currently in quarantine and have been with me for 2 weeks. The little one is still eating a ton but just doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. He is always in the food bowl with the other one and just seems to sleep and eat. They do perch at night to sleep but every time I check on them in the daytime they are both crammed in one of the food bowls either sleeping or eating.

Anyone have any advice to help budgies gain weight? He just seems so teeny and frail and I would love for him to be healthy and strong!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry, to hear that your budgie is underweight. I don't have many answers to your problem but my budgie had the same issue when he arrived at the pet store from the breeders and the store said that to fatten him up a bit, they would give him Avi-Cakes. Hope that helps a bit

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,202 Posts
in addition to the avi cakes, I would recommend Heal-x brand Bird Builder. I've read the testimonies from some people and they're amazing. you should look it up, and the ask your vet if that's something that they would recommend giving to him. Good luck!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will definitely mention it to the vet - I haven't noticed any other symptoms (seems alert, normal poops, etc) but I know sometimes they can't present. That is why I quarantine!

I do offer eggs but so far they haven't shown much interest in them haha. I can barely get them to acknowledge the presence of veggies...

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,418 Posts
Super

I agree that your vet should check for AGY and do a run of amphoteracin B by vetafarm also see ladygouldianfinch.com for homeopathic for fungal/agy issues.
Great resource for current treatment med resources. It is good you are restricting the new birds. The AGY usually shows in older birds or weak immune response so work on things to improve the immune system and see the vet ASAP. The AGY stuff destroys internal organs and when birds show that thin it may not be possible to turn around. While the other may have a chance as it is not as skinny. Best wishes in turning this around. Above foods are good to use
and do not forget millet spray. At this point any thing goes to get weight on your birds. Blessings, Jo Ann:p

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,202 Posts
If you're having trouble getting him to eat veggies, may I suggest some egg food? Lindsey has a great recipe on her site. I usually quarter the recipe for my flock of 7th. Anyway, the egg food should give him quite a bit of protein and good fat to help him gain weight. It always worked for me. I usually use organic cous cous, instead of the quinoa.

But definitely get him in to see the vet. Is better to find something you didn't know about now than wait until it's too late later.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Making egg food now! I also have Avian Trio and bee pollen on order (I have been meaning to order the pollen for my plucking parrotlet so I guess everyone gets it now). I already do pretty much everything you do, FaeryBee, with the exception of egg food, now it just a matter of convincing the newbies it is delicious! The rest of my flock eats pretty much whatever I put in front of them. That's the one thing that ***** about quarantine - they can't pick up my flock's good habits!

We have a vet appointment for Monday so we will see what my doctor says!

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boyle's test results came back - it is AGY (thankfully very definitive!). He is now on medication and will hopefully start gaining weight!

Reactions: FaeryBee
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.