Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Now, I don't know about you guys but I am terrified of swans. They're big and can stand up and almost match my height and they can be vicious when babies are around!

However, last weekend I brought my dad through to Edinburgh to feed the ducks and geese at a big lake in the city centre. What we weren't expecting was the geese to be gone and for all the swans were sitting in their place (there's about 15/20 of them). My dad loves swans so he got the bird seed out and went over to feed them. The signets were all nearly fully grown so the parents weren't being protective, so I got involved and it was the most lovely experience of my life! The swans even let us pet them and I gave one of the signets a cuddle. Best day ever!

· Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
That is absolutely amazing, how special you were able to experience that!

It must have been truly awe-inspiring to get literally face to face with these beautiful birds. Lovely pictures, I would frame the first one :love:

Thank you so much for sharing this special experience with us, it really made me smile :)

· Member of the Month January 2016
4,993 Posts
I love swans but I know what you mean about them being a little frightening. An experience we had one year with a male swan who had very young cygnets and some Egyptian geese feeding too close to him had very one ruthless male swan drowning the poor baby goose (don't worry, we managed to shoo away the male swan and plucked the poor little goose out of the water and left him to dry- and we saw him back with him Mum and siblings two days later).
So they are a bird I am a little wary of but I think they're beautiful. And when they walk on land I'm reminded of a dragon, lol!

· Registered
92 Posts
Code:
Wow! What a great experience Amanda :). I've only ever seen swans in the zoo, so I knew they were big birds but they look extra ginormous close up! I love those extra long necks in all those positions lol.
In a zoo??? I live right on the Thames in the UK and they are everywhere. English swans are property of the Queen and get counted every year. They are a good indication on the health of the rivers and it's illegal to kill one, especially to eat it. Seeing a swan swimthrough the river mist is one of the most magical things ever seen :)

· Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
How wonderful that must have been! I'm sure you will forever cherish this precious moment. :)

I have fed swans on a park lake in my hometown many times and while they got closer, I never actually managed to reach my hand to touch them.

· Administrator
60,914 Posts
Wow! What a great experience Amanda :). I've only ever seen swans in the zoo, so I knew they were big birds but they look extra ginormous close up! I love those extra long necks in all those positions lol.
Side note:
Julie,
Your comment about the "ginormous' swans made me think of Skipooterky's Seven Swans A-Swimming Picture in their Advent Thread. :laughing1:

Now, returning to Amanda's topic regarding her beautiful experience and gorgeous photos.
:focus:

· Member of the Month June 2014
10,323 Posts
Wow Amanda that is wonderful... There is a man made lake here with swans ducks geese turtles and other wild birds. We go there for a picnic and you can feed the swans geese turtles and feed them by hand they look scary but they are really gentle... I love swans we also have black swans that come to...

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Side note:
Julie,
Your comment about the "ginormous' swans made me think of Skipooterky's Seven Swans A-Swimming Picture in their Advent Thread. :laughing1:

Now, returning to Amanda's topic regarding her beautiful experience and gorgeous photos.
:focus:
Had to go and check the advent thread to see this and nearly died laughing :giggle: - I'd love to see the size difference between our little budgies and those huge swans!

Thanks everyone for the comments, they really made me smile! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.