Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new baby budgie arrives this week
His breeder weaned him to Higgins vita parakeet seed mixed w/Higgins canary seed and egg food . Millet too.( I will only use it for training)
My mix is 20% volkaman seed 80% roudybush pellet w/sprinkles of egg food

Should I slowly convert him to mine?
I am concerned since he didnt wean to pellets but thinking my mix will be better?

Also, He is only 6 weeks. I am concerned about the 6-8 week period he will miss spending with siblings. Is there something I can do to fill this void?
Is that developmental period important like w/cats and dogs and they learn social skills?
Supposedly weaned at 4 weeks too which seems very young.
I just want to make sure he gets all his needs met.
Thanks,Karen
PS Here is a pic of his cage-Anything I should add?

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Steve was about 10 weeks when I got him a bit over a year ago
and although he was fed seekd at the store, he converted to Roudybush easily and especially since the "nibbles' size pellet looks so much like millet he quickly tried it and 'liked it". He's never been sick, always active, curious about everything and has become a great talker with an expanded vocab.
He still gets other food, including seed mix twice a week, greens,
oat groats and even hulled sunflower but his staple is Roudybush.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Yes, your chick would benefit from the extra two weeks with the siblings and parents (if this chick is parent raised).

To be truly fully weaned at 4 weeks that's really a big stretch to say the least and I even question the validity of it. This comes from a person who has been breeding and raising budgie chicks for 2 decades.
It's not at all safe for a chick who is still going through the process of weaning to leave the breeders house.
Depending on the chicks, some can in fact be weaned at 6 weeks old, but by taking such a young and recently weaned chick home there are risks to be taken, because the drastic change can make the chick regress in terms of weaning and the owner must be extra vigilant and see if the little one is eating well or not.

I also don't recommend you to start a radical conversion to pellets on a very recently weaned budgie. It's important to offer as many different types of food as possible. This includes a good seed mix, veggies, the occasional tiny piece of fruit, sprouts, egg food which is vital at this stage of development and pellets. During the settling in period, offer all foods in abundance and don't restrict the seed intake just yet. You can crush and mash the pellets onto the egg food to make your budgie used to the taste.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
diet and young

Thanks for info

I just got his hatch date
He stopped eating baby food at 4 weeks . She keeps another week to make sure he is eating seed fully. I postponed another week to get him.
I will get his seed and mash some pellets separately w/egg food.
He was hand raised at 2 weeks and been w/siblings
I hope he isn't use to a lot of millet

K

·
Super Moderator
17,952 Posts
It sounds like you and the breeder are both taking into account his young age and it sounds like he will be ready to come to live with his new mum :D

Aluz has given great advice and I also agree that a huge variety of constantly available foods is the best way to go!

The cage looks great, I would add a few more natural wood perches near the middle and another toy or two, with a bell, maybe. He may still be a little clumsy and getting used to his wings so having lots of perches will help him hop around and let him get used to his new cage :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts
I agree with aluz.
I believe it would be best for the budgie to remain with its Dad and siblings for another two weeks.
At 6 weeks old, there is no guarantee the chick won't regress when separated from its flock.
Waiting until the 8 week mark is reached is a much safer option.
You can also ask the breeder begin adding some Roudybush pellets to your chicks daily food to help him get used to the taste of pellets before he comes home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.