Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
My sis and mom finally agreed to take lemon out from the cage.Lemon likes to walk out from the cage when grass is kept out.We left their cage out in the balcony and didn't notice that it was raining and they are actually bathing.They were really wet so we got them in the room and then we took lemon out from the cage.He sat above it all wet,trying to dry himself.Mom was getting him grass and he flew straight to her and hopped on her playing with her.After 10-15 minutes he went back to his cage.
I apologise for the fact that we didn't notice that they were out in the rain but i guess that i can take a wet lemon out more often then a lemon with dry wings.
Please suggest 馃槄馃槄馃槄
And yeah i guess he is growing up coz his all black eye now isn't all black.Their is some grey grey part in it as well.And also the cere color of skittles it turning into pinkish brown

Administrator
Your budgies' cage should never be left out on the balcony unsupervised. It simply isn't safe.

Since Skittles is coming into condition, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously.
Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
Limit the light they get to 8 hours a day.
When they come into condition, limit the amount of protein in their diet at that time.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Allowing Lemon out of the cage in a BIRD SAFE room with all the doors and windows closed is fine.
Just make sure you don't grab him to put him back into his cage.
Does he step up and allow you to move him?
If not, allow him to go back into the cage when he is ready to do so.

I have untamed budgies that go back in their cage because I've used positive reinforcement training to teach them they will get a reward when they do so.
Initially, when I was ready for them to go back in the cage I would first dim the lights and pull down the shades in the room. If the radio or TV was on, I turned it off.
Then I would stand by their cage and ringing the bell on one of their toys while telling them, "It's time to go in your cage now!"
Once they went back into the cage, they were given a small bit of millet.
This method worked well and they now go in the cage when asked to do so without the lights being dimmed or the blinds lowered and the TV or radio can stay on.
Getting the millet reward is the best part of "going back home"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually lemon is quite comfy with hands and steps up on command really nicely. And about the balcony they are left there when my mum and dad sit and chat in early morning and when they sit and chat in evenings.We leave them in a shady area in the balcony an yeah yesterday idk who left a cage door open and they came out.The doors were open and we weren't expecting them to come out.Luckily they didn't notice and by the time they landed my mum and sis had closed the doors and gosh we were so relieved.We put them back with help of wet towels.
Thanks to god they were saved.I am now planning on a super strictly supervised out of the cage time

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
today lemon bathed and was super wet and then i took him out for 10 minutes.Yesterday they were out for 3-4 minutes and i am guessing that on Monday we are letting them out for 20-25 minutes(that's my will) but it totally depends on my sister and my mother

Administrator
Strictly supervised out of cage time and ensuring ALL doors and windows are closed BEFORE opening your budgies' cage door is very important as you've now learned.
I'm very glad that neither of the budgies managed to escape - you were very fortunate.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i am also really happy but something peculiar happened yesterday.I met this man in my tower running downstairs with a white cage.When asked where was he going he told that his budgie has this habit of escaping from home again and again and comes back to his cage when he sings the buddgie's favourite song and calls his name.
So my basic question is that is this much training possible ??

Administrator
NO! This is not recommended at all.
Budgies are not generally amenable to being trained for re-call.
That individual should learn to keep his doors and windows closed when he has his budgie our for free-flight.
It's amazing that the bird has returned and yet the guy keeps allowing it to escape.
Very sad state of affairs!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well guys we have been ordering only pears from the last few days and that's what lemon and skittles are also getting.I have noticed that after having pear there are yellow kindda coloor that comes out on skittles face.I am attaching the photo

Administrator
No photo attached. Do NOT give too much fruit as it is very high in sugar content and too much is not good for your birds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts