Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's use this thread to discuss dates, ideas and other planning items for our Talk Budgies Bird Show that we are going to hold. This contest will be open to all members to enter any of their birds. We can probably use the same categories as our first all bird contest. I'd need to dig up our threads about that one...

·
Administrator
55,569 Posts
I suggest opening the 2013 Bird Show Contest the beginning of May.
We could allow entries throughout May with voting taking place the first week in June.

Last year we had 14 Separate Categories for Entries.

Member Categories:

American Budgies
English Budgies
Other Small Birds
Other Medium Birds
Other Large Birds
Best Aviary
Best Cage Set-Up
Best Entertainment
Most Talented Budgie

Staff Categories

Staff American
Staff English
Staff Other Small Birds
Staff Other Medium Birds
Staff Other Large Birds

I have the ribbon templates I used for 2012 and will be happy to update them for 2013 if you want to award "ribbons" along with the other prizes this year.

If I remember correctly, we had members enter their birds in one thread and then the TB staff moved them to the proper Entry Thread which were kept "Closed" to avoid having member comments posted in the threads.

This (type) button was used in the member's post with their picture(s) to let both members and staff know when specific photos had been transferred to the entry threads.

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
I think we need to look at the size classifications of the other birds. Last show all my birds ended up in one class but in the parrot world they would not all be classed as large.

Small are more like Peachface, Neophema etc.

Medium would be the Lorikeet sizes and up to Rosella sized birds. Even the Alexandrines could go in that class as even though they are long they are not exceptionally large in body. Cockatiels would be in this class too.

Large would then be the Cockatoo Family except the Cockatiel and birds like African Greys and Amazons.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
The last one was a success and it seemed like everyone had fun doing it.

And thank you Kate for helping out. Your expertise is most wonderfully appreciated. :)

·
Administrator
55,569 Posts
Kate,
Your explanation of the different classes for "other birds" will be extremely beneficial to everyone!
Thank you so much for those suggestions.

·
Administrator
55,569 Posts

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Very nice.

·
Administrator
55,569 Posts
My current plan is to hold the 2013 Talk Budgie Bird Show in May.

Draft Announcement Completed
Award Ribbons Completed
Members' Category award ribbons resized [250 x 200 pixels]​

I've made a couple of changes in the processes this year.

1) Moving entries into the appropriate category thread

Simply EDIT the post in the appropriate category thread and add the bird(s) to that post.
(Do not create a new post for the entries.)
There will then be only ONE post in the entire thread.

If you need clarification on how to do this, please take a look at the way I've been handling the BOTM Contestant Entry Threads this year. ;)

There are nine closed threads set up for the Member Categories and six closed threads set up for Staff Categories.

The threads will remain closed and only TB Staff are allowed to access them.

When you've edited the proper thread to place an entry into the appropriate category, please remember to "stamp" the entry in the Announcement Thread using this stamp.

When an entry is stamped in the Announcement Thread, the contestants will know the submission has been entered.

2) Entries to Each Category will be limited

Bird Categories: Members may enter up to THREE birds in each category.

Special Categories: (e.g. Aviary, Cage, DIY):
Members may submit ONE entry for each category.​

3) Prizes
I'd like to discuss whether or not the TB Staff believe days on the 2014 Talk Budgie Calendar should be part of the prize package again this year.

If so -- I'd like to reduce number days awarded per category to maintain space on the calendar for those who wish to 'purchase' dates by making a contribution to a local animal charity in their area.

One day for 3rd Place
Two days for 2nd Place
Three days for First Place​

4) Other Bird Categories
(I need to know what other birds should be listed in the various categories please)

Small Birds: Finch, Canaries

Medium Birds: Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Cockatiels, Lorikeets, Conures, Pionus Parrots, Doves, Alexandrines

Large Birds: Cockatoos (other than Cockatiels), African Greys, Macaws, Amazons, Chickens​

5) Judging

Staff members ONLY will judge all entries and determine all winners.
Judging will commence immediately after the deadline for entries has passed.

6. Staff Entries

Staff Members may enter their birds in a separate group of closed threads
Staff member categories
Best Staff Pet/American Budgie
Best Staff Show/English Budgie
Best Staff Other Small Bird
Best Staff Other Medium Bird
Best Staff Other Large Bird
Staff Entries will be moved to a poll after the Bird Show has ended.

The winners in the Staff Categories will be determined by Non-Staff Talk Budgie Members

Staff Members cannot vote for Staff Entries.

More information will be forthcoming toward the end of April as I ramp up the preparations for the Bird Show!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I love what you have laid out Deb! :)

There is only one thing that I would change personally, the idea of limiting the number of entries per member. I think the more entries we get the more fun it will be for members, and many of them have more than 3 budgies and it would be a shame for them to have to choose only 3 if they have great pics of their whole flock:) We had such a great turn out last year doing it that way, and I think the bigger the better! :D That is just my opinion though :)

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This look fantastic Deb! Love the way you have everything organized. :)

I'm on the fence about the number of entries permitted. Lindsey, you are right that there are many people who have more than three birds in any given category, especially with the really small ones like finches. It's more work for us to handle more entries, but perhaps it would be worthwhile? I'm happy to help enter the entries into their appropriate categories once members submit them...

Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the other hand, I like the idea of emphasizing quality versus quantity. Limiting entries forces people to choose their best photos...

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk App.

·
Administrator
55,569 Posts
I don't think more than 3 entries per person is fair to the members who do not have large amounts of birds and prefer those that do have to choose which ones to enter. It seems more fair to everyone that way.

Just my take on it. :)

·
19,551 Posts
I am more than happy to help with entering or with anything else that is needed too! :)

If I remember correctly last year we all pretty much agreed on one or two photos from the members with the best photos, and even those that entered a lot of different birds only had a few of their pictures that were seriously considered if any :) If members were allowed to enter more than one photo of each bird that would be different, but one of each seems fair to me like in a real bird show. The idea is to post quality photos if you want to be seriously considered to win, and other than that the fun is just in entering your birds period :) If it seems unfair that members are allowed to enter more than 3, wouldn't it be unfair to enter 3 for those members who only have 1? :)

Last year it was such a big hit... we kept wondering how many entries we were going to get and it blew us all away how many we had! I just doubt it will be as much of a hit this year if we limit it :) And I will drop it now and go with what everyone else thinks :p

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, so if we were to follow the parameters of a real bird show, then we would allow one photo per bird... That could make for a lot of entries, but I think that's a good thing... If we make the Bird Show this wide open, I think it would be important to only accept photos that are taken later than a certain date, say after January 31, 2013 or even the start date of the contest. That way people can't just submit whatever photo from whatever album from whatever time. They have to make more of an effort to participate in the show.

For people with multiple birds who want to submit multiple entries, there is more effort to participate in the show. Soooo, if they want to put in that effort, then let them?

And we won't accept photos that don't meet the requirements... But we can allow them to try again.

I'd like us to stipulate that photos must be of individual birds. No group shots.

Maybe even ask for photos that show off their full bird? We could post exemplar pictures of the kinds of photos we are expecting. I suggest this because I remember last year having a really hard time comparing and selecting photos of everyone's birds; some were preening, some were playing, some were eating etc etc. In my mind, this requirement would also be in keeping with an authentic Bird Show where birds are simply in bare minimum surroundings. That way the focus is on the bird, not on the toy they are playing with, or the food they are eating etc... I'm just throwing this idea out there but I'm not married to it. :p

Thoughts? Am I making too many rules? :eek: I'm just trying to get away from members simply submitting random photos of their birds, but rather encourage them to take purposeful photos specifically for the show...

·
19,551 Posts
Alright, so if we were to follow the parameters of a real bird show, then we would allow one photo per bird... That could make for a lot of entries, but I think that's a good thing... If we make the Bird Show this wide open, I think it would be important to only accept photos that are taken later than a certain date, say after January 31, 2013 or even the start date of the contest. That way people can't just submit whatever photo from whatever album from whatever time. They have to make more of an effort to participate in the show.

For people with multiple birds who want to submit multiple entries, there is more effort to participate in the show. Soooo, so if they want to put in that effort, then let them?

I'd like us to stipulate that photos must be of individual birds. No group shots.

Maybe even ask for photos that show off their full bird? We could post exemplar pictures of the kinds of photos we are expecting. I suggest this because I remember last year having a really hard time comparing and selecting photos of everyone's birds; some were preening, some were playing, some were eating etc etc. In my mind, this requirement would also be in keeping with an authentic Bird Show where birds are simply in bare minimum surroundings. That way the focus is on the bird, not on the toy they are playing with, or the food they are eating etc...

Thoughts? Am I making too many rules? :eek: I'm just trying to get away from members simply submitting random photos of their birds, but rather encourage them to take purposeful photos specifically for the show...
I love all of those ideas Kim! :clap: I like the idea of from Jan 31 or after, that way we would have all new pics with no old ones from last year etc. Will we make and exception for birds that have passed away before that again?

A full body shot should be a must too, they would be much more "show" style in that the idea is to show off the bird themselves not what they are doing. :)

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
I also think that people should not be disregarded because their birds are in a cage. From memory last year there were no birds that were in cages that were considered for the top prizes. Not everyone's birds are tame and for those with larger birds that are not really tame it is very difficult to get a picture of the birds outside of a cage, even if they are in big aviaries. Just try to get a good shot of a large bird in a 12 ft flight and see how you go. So the only way you can get a reasonable shot of them is in a cage. In a real bird show birds are not outside of cages, they are judged in cages and the birds are trained to display themselves when in the show cage, and show themselves to their best advantage. They can actually be penalized for not displaying properly unless they are a truely outstanding bird. A bird that is jumping all over the place and not sitting on its perch showing it's confirmation can lose out for the Grand Champion prize against a bird that is displaying properly, even if the bird jumping around is superior, you just cannot get a good look at its best features.

Just from my point of view I would prefer the show to be in June instead of May. May is always a busy month for me, what with the Bird Sale, our local Festival and our Parrot Show which is when I can get current pictures of my birds either from the Festival or the Show. Also during that month I have to go into hospital for the day to have some pictures taken of my insides. Yuk, not looking forward to that.

I have no problem with limiting the amount of birds to 3, but will that be 3 in each section or just 3 birds in total from all sections.

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no issue with photos taken of birds between cage bars for those who are not tame or who for whatever reason can't be taken out of their cage. :)

For birds who have passed, maybe we should have a special category for those? I know that I can be emotionally swayed into preferring a budgie who has passed, for sentimental reasons, so one way to avoid that would be to have its own category. Depending on the number of entries, we may find that we need to break down that category into subcategories (i.e. small, medium and large birds...)

I'd like to see us use a scoring sheet, not only to make judging a bit easier, but also so that participants know what they are being scored on. We would make this available to everyone at the time we open the contest. I can start building some criteria and we can add to it as we come up with ideas. :)

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is a work in progress, but this would be an example of the kinds of things we could score the photos on. I'm thinking of perhaps using a scale of 1 to 10 with one being the photo doesn't meet that particular criteria at all and ten meaning the photo is an exceptional example of that particular criteria...

Before judging starts, we could do a simple yes/no check of the entries to make sure they meet the requirements. For example:

1. Was the photo taken during the specified time period?
2. Does the photo have one bird as its main subject?
3. Whatever else we decide are requirements...

The scoring criteria could look something like this:

Technical Aspects (scale of 1 to 10)

Photo Quality: Is the photo in focus? Sharp? Bright with good contrast and appealing colours?

Photo Composition: Is the bird the main subject of the photo? Does the photo appear balanced?

Bird Appeal (scale of 1 to 10)

(I'm working on this) :p

Other Criteria (scale of 1 to 10)

Overall Feeling: Do I like this photo? Could it have been done any better?

I'd actually create a form that can be filled out by the judges for each entry. Google Forms works wonderfully for things like this.

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for yet another reply to this thread. I just had another thought.

Do we want to require certain information on each bird? I mean make a requirement that members fill out some basic information like:

Bird's Name
Approximate Age (if known)
Brief profile (description of the personality, likes/dislikes etc) but kept to fewer than say 200 words...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.