Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two male budgies and one unfortunately and suddenly passed away the other day. The other male has gotten quiet but seems alright based on his eating habits. He's not hand trained and the death of the other made me realize that I wanted to bond with him more.

I'm planning to get him a new friend in a week to a month from now but I'm wondering if it would be too stressful for him if I suddenly try to tame him now? He's one of my first birds so I don't know much. Also not sure if this should go here but when I get him a new friend does it matter if they're the same color as the one that passed away? I'm paranoid lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you decide to get another bird it would be best to get another male, color will not matter. You will need to observe quarantine rules when you get the new bird so you will need a second cage, the new bird should be housed separately for at least 30 days, and this means in a different room than your current bird. This is done so as to make sure there is no illness that the new bird might have that could be passed to your other bird. Birds are masters at hiding illness so just looking at a bird and assuming it is healthy is not a proper thing to do. How long have you had your current bird?
I got my current bird, Bowie, sometime in August of last year but I'm not sure how old he is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.