Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been exact 21 days now since the budgies came and still they are scared of me. Everywhere they say in 2 weeks they will be tamed. Am I doing something wrong? Pls help, I am really bored of them running from me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to put their cage near you and talk to them in a gentle voice. Also don't make quick movements with your hands when interacting with them.

Grab a book (picture book if you have one) and read it to them and slowly show them the pictures.

Another example is fold laundry near them, show them your clothes tell them step by step what your doing. (Now we're going to fold this red shirt, see this? That's the color red. We start by folding it in half etc...)

When they get use to you being around them then you can start hand taming them.

Start by putting your hand near the cage and holding it there. Leave it there for 30 seconds - a minute and move it away. Do it A LOT.
When they get use to that you can start putting your hand inside the cage and doing the same thing, just hold your hand there for a little bit.

The process is not fast and can take weeks - months.

Do not grab at them (unless it's needed)

Some birds just don't like hands. If the birds were not hand raised it will take longer for them to trust you.

I know how you're feeling though, they are so cute that you just want to interact with them.
Keep at it, be patient, you can do it.

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best advice I can give you is to put their cage near you and talk to them in a gentle voice. Also don't make quick movements with your hands when interacting with them.

Grab a book (picture book if you have one) and read it to them and slowly show them the pictures.

Another example is fold laundry near them, show them your clothes tell them step by step what your doing. (Now we're going to fold this red shirt, see this? That's the color red. We start by folding it in half etc...)

When they get use to you being around them then you can start hand taming them.

Start by putting your hand near the cage and holding it there. Leave it there for 30 seconds - a minute and move it away. Do it A LOT.
When they get use to that you can start putting your hand inside the cage and doing the same thing, just hold your hand there for a little bit.

The process is not fast and can take weeks - months.

Do not grab at them (unless it's needed)

Some birds just don't like hands. If the birds were not hand raised it will take longer for them to trust you.

I know how you're feeling though, they are so cute that you just want to interact with them.
Keep at it, be patient, you can do it.
Oops I have been grabbing them for playing with them, then I wont do that... Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
151 Posts
I mean it takes 14 days for them just to get used to a new place, them getting tame isn't a fast process, and it takes a lot of slow effort. I don't think it's the healthiest mindset to buy budgies only because you want them to perform for your own entertainment, and then get bored of them when they don't 🤷‍♂️ Grabbing them against their will and invading their personal space is going to do more harm than good.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
You may think this is "harsh" but all members - not just the original poster -- need to take what is said in this post to heart.

If you take the time to read the stickies and budgie articles as you were advised, you would know that "grabbing" a bird is NEVER something you should do.
Ever person who joins the forum is advised to read all of the stickies and budgie articles to learn about how to care for their budgies for their optimum well-being.

Archit, you were given the same advise as I've posted below 13 days ago about your birds eating out of your hand, so there is no excuse about "not knowing" you shouldn't grab them.
Budgies are not like cats and dogs and YOU must take the responsibility of ensuring they are treated as they should be and receive the love and care they deserve.

You need to go back to the beginning and start over with these budgies - they are probably completely terrified of you now.

To bond with your birds, you need to build their trust in you.
They will have to learn over time that you will not hurt them.

To build your birds’ trust, sit by their cage and read, talk or sing quietly to them for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day. After about a week, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to them so they will learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt them.

After a week of resting your hand on the outside of the cage, rest your hand inside the cage when you talk.
Don’t make sudden moves, don’t try to touch them.
Let their get used to the idea that the hand is now in their safe place and not harming them.

After 2 weeks, begin moving your hand slowly toward your bird. If they become agitated, stop moving your hand and just hold very still until they calm down. When they are comfortable with your hand near them, you can offer them a bit of millet or a few seeds.

Always work at your birds’ pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly to their whenever you interact with them.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
You have definitely caused a set back with the poor birds in trying to grab them, you should never do this, imagine how terrified they are when you go to grab them, as FaeryBee has said they are not like cats and dogs that can be held and petted. If you want a pet that you can cuddle with, a budgie is not that pet, and if you do not have the patience to follow through with the information that has been provided it may best best to rehome them to someone that has more understanding of birds and their needs.

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have definitely caused a set back with the poor birds in trying to grab them, you should never do this, imagine how terrified they are when you go to grab them, as FaeryBee has said they are not like cats and dogs that can be held and petted. If you want a pet that you can cuddle with, a budgie is not that pet, and if you do not have the patience to follow through with the information that has been provided it may best best to rehome them to someone that has more understanding of birds and their needs.
Ok sorry... I am 11 years old for ur info

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
If you are 11 years old then your parents need to be involved.
You are not caring for your budgies properly at this time.
If you are unable to read and follow the advice given, then you need to rehome your budgies to someone who can care for them properly and wait until you are older before considering having budgies as pets.

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are 11 years old then your parents need to be involved.
You are not caring for your budgies properly at this time.
If you are unable to read and follow the advice given, then you need to rehome your budgies to someone who can care for them properly and wait until you are older before considering having budgies as pets.
I have been reading the articles... Not all yet.

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Keep going - it's not too late to learn as much as you can to care for your little ones properly. :)

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been using a new technique to tame my budgies. Its been 28 days since I got them and I did a big mistake due to which I lost their trust. I agree I am total fool to grab them and I wont make that mistake again. Pls forgive me. My new technique is that I am keeping my hand still not too far from them in the cage. Now they are starting to getting used to it... My budgie Oscar, before, due to my mistake of grabbing them, totally went berserk when I used to put my hand in cage even if I don't touch him or even go close to him. Now using this technique, he is not so much scared of me anymore but still is not tamed. If I touch him, he runs away again. Pls tell me is this right to do?

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
It can take months to tame a budgie so your 28 days is way too short a time to expect them to be tamed, especially because of the setback with the grabbing of them. You should not be trying to touch them, birds are not like cats and dogs that you can pet, even when a bird becomes trusting enough to sit on your hand they do not like to be touched, holding you hand still outside the cage is fine, try reading to them on a daily basis so they become comfortable around you and they will get used to the idea that when you are around there is no reason to be afraid.

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It can take months to tame a budgie so your 28 days is way too short a time to expect them to be tamed, especially because of the setback with the grabbing of them. You should not be trying to touch them, birds are not like cats and dogs that you can pet, even when a bird becomes trusting enough to sit on your hand they do not like to be touched, holding you hand still outside the cage is fine, try reading to them on a daily basis so they become comfortable around you and they will get used to the idea that when you are around there is no reason to be afraid.
But they are getting used to my hand in the cage but I am not touching them, only once I did..

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
As long as you are not touching them or moving towards them with your hand, you can keep letting them get used to your hand in the cage. Please keep in mind that they will take a long time to get used to your hand, and don't try to rush them. Even budgies who aren't traumatized may take a long time to get used to that type of intrusion. If they are still very skittish it's even better to start by leaving your hand on the outside of their cage, where they can see it. Just go slowly. Because of the way you started off, it's going to take a long time to gain their trust, so you have to be patient. But don't worry, as long as you keep treating them with care and patience, your relationship will slowly improve over time!

Best of luck~

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
You have been told in two previous threads,

What the best method is for working toward Taming and Bonding with your Budgies.

Please follow the advice you have been given.

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At last Coco is tamed. I put a stick in the cage and she sits on it. I then take her out on the stick and she starts nibbling me on my arms and nose. She is not afraid of me now. Though she isn't finger tamed. She still is scared of my fingers. But when we tried to take Oscar out, he flew away and we had to grab him to put hi inside though we let him fly for a few minutes. Pls tell me how do I gain Oscar's trust too? Will he see Coco and trust me too? Or I will have to take other steps to gain his trust? And also how to finger tame them?

·
Registered
Mango , Kiwi and late berry
73 Posts
At last Coco is tamed. I put a stick in the cage and she sits on it. I then take her out on the stick and she starts nibbling me on my arms and nose. She is not afraid of me now. Though she isn't finger tamed. She still is scared of my fingers. But when we tried to take Oscar out, he flew away and we had to grab him to put hi inside though we let him fly for a few minutes. Pls tell me how do I gain Oscar's trust too? Will he see Coco and trust me too? Or I will have to take other steps to gain his trust? And also how to finger tame them?
Hello !
Even one of my birds comes out but the other one didn't. Here is what I did. I took the tamed one out and opened the cage. By doing this a few times he'll surely come out. Try putting some of his favorite toys and food outside. This will surely work

·
Registered
52 Posts
A bit of experience here, because Pepe came to me terrified of hands as well. I did all the talk to her everyday thing, and when I clean her cage I'm always talking to her and telling her not to panic. After she stopped being terrified everytime I clean the cage, for 2 whole weeks I've had been talking to her with my hand in the cage for about 15-20 minutes everyday, not really doing anything much but just being there. Once in a while I would slowly move my fingers and so that she won't feel weirded out by hands moving. The whole point is to do everything REALLY SLOWLY while your hands in are in the cage so that she doesn't get terrified by it. Eventually she'll realize that it's not really doing anything scary to her.

When she started pulling at my fingers and trying to bite my nails, I pretty much endured every nibble without reacting to them, like she'd tug it and I'll let her tug it, but if it hurts I'll tell her it's painful, but my fingers won't react to it. Then slowly when she's more comfortable to the point she'll step on it, I'll slowly move my thumb and see her reaction, if she's curious then I'll continue playing, if she's frightened, I'll stop and let her do whatever she wants. And I've realized that once she stops being terrified, she hardly bites hard.

At the same time, I'm hand feeding her vegetables/millet and also testing to see if she'll come onto my hand with bribery, always talking to her softly while she's eating.

Even now, I would place my hand on the perch and see if she would come to me, instead of me going for her, which she always would because it's belly rubs and play time. If she's ignoring me, or preening, I'll leave her alone for another time.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Your budgies’ cage is their home and their “safe” place.
They are familiar with the interior of the cage and everything that is in it.
To them, anything outside their cage is big, scary and potentially dangerous.

You should never force your budgie to come out as that will just scare him more and make him lose his trust in you.
When you are home and can be in the room to supervise, leave the cage door open and give your budgie the opportunity to come out if and when he chooses to do so.

You can place a perch on the outside of the cage next to the door. The bendable rope perches often work well for this.
Place a play gym outside the cage or on the cage top to encourage exploration.

Placing a favorite toy and/or treat outside the cage may also help to entice your bird to step outside his safety zone

If the one budgie does not wish to come out of the cage, do not force it to do so.

Leaving the door to the cage open when you are there to supervise to allow them the opportunity to come out if they so desire is fine.

If they choose to do so, that's great and if not, well -- that's great too!

Not every budgie feels the need to fly around the house and explore.

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your budgies’ cage is their home and their “safe” place.
They are familiar with the interior of the cage and everything that is in it.
To them, anything outside their cage is big, scary and potentially dangerous.

You should never force your budgie to come out as that will just scare him more and make him lose his trust in you.
When you are home and can be in the room to supervise, leave the cage door open and give your budgie the opportunity to come out if and when he chooses to do so.

You can place a perch on the outside of the cage next to the door. The bendable rope perches often work well for this.
Place a play gym outside the cage or on the cage top to encourage exploration.

Placing a favorite toy and/or treat outside the cage may also help to entice your bird to step outside his safety zone

If the one budgie does not wish to come out of the cage, do not force it to do so.

Leaving the door to the cage open when you are there to supervise to allow them the opportunity to come out if they so desire is fine.

If they choose to do so, that's great and if not, well -- that's great too!

Not every budgie feels the need to fly around the house and explore.
Yes, I do leave the cage door open so that if they want to go back they can. And anyway both of them started to come out now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.