My poor Hedwig has not had the best time in his (not 100% in gender) 4 months of life. We bought him to be a friend with an older budgie who was already tamed as I thought his behaviour had changed because he was lonely (I had to change his location in the house so he wasn't surrounded by people as much). Turns out his behaviour was most likely due to a tumour, and he died not long after we got Hedwig.
I had been putting my hand in Hedwigs cage and just resting it there for a while but then he hurt his wing and I had to hold him to stop the bleeding (pretty sure he just nicked a blood feather) and after that he was even more scared of me- flying around the cage and squaking even if I was nowhere near him. I decided to stop for a while and ended up buying another budgie to keep him company.
Nyx and Hedwig got along great, they were rarely not together. This did hinder the taming efforts and I still didn't get anywhere (Nyx was not as scared of me, but still very wary). This went on for about 3 and a bit months, but suddenly Nyx got sick and also died.
Hedwig is still very scared of me and I'm worried about what effects their deaths might have had on him. I also don't know if he is tameable- he is just so scared and it hurts me to see him like that!
Are there any suggestions on what I can do?
- Bought a budgie (Hedwig) to keep old budgie company
- Old budgie died
- Tried taming by putting hand in cage but no success
- Hedwig hurt itself, I had to hold him
- Hedwig even more terrified
- Bought Hedwig a friend (Nyx)
- Hedwig and Nyx got along great but taming did not progress
- After a few months Nyx also died
- Hedwig seems happy but still terrified of me
- Did any of this effect the ability to tame him and will he be okay?