Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been here in awhile..not that I post when I do come around. Today I was watching my birds and started wondering exactly what mutations they may be. Would anyone mind taking a guess? It's mostly just to amuse myself...I just can not figure budgie genetics...these little guys are confusing. :D

The 1st and 2nd pictures I took today, the last few pictures will be old ones from when I first got them. I couldn't get any good pics of them today. The blue in the first bird (Tonic) is not noticeable in person. His cere is also not that blue, I was shocked when I saw the picture...in person it's more of a purplish color. The 2nd pic (Gin) is a litttttle less...bright...I guess would be the word...it's also quite hard to see her iris in person, I can see it's lighter in the picture.

These pictures show the splotchy pattern on them both and is more true to life color.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Far far from an expert but I'd have to guess at

Violet dominant pied for Tonic.

Sky blue dominant pied opaline for Gin. Maybe recessive pied... Taking a second look.

Both absolutely beautiful birds in any case :D.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why thank you for the guess...I'm excited to see what everyone else thinks.

My husband and I picked out these 2 because we...ok I...wanted really pretty birds and I had never seen any with these colors/patterns. I've obviously seen the bright blue before, but never the gray, and never with the splotchy pattern. Of course, where I live there's very limited choices anywhere for any animal.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I would say dominant pied mauve and dominant pied opaline skyblue. Pretty sure an iris ring can be seen in both of the first 2 pics and recessive pieds don't get those as well as usually having color towards the bottom of the belly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, you can see the iris in both the first and second picture. If you stand here and look at them though, it's really hard to see the iris, I hadn't noticed it until I looked at the pictures.

You can't tell in the pictures exactly, but the wings and tails are completely white below the little bit of black you can see along the "shoulders." That was another part of their coloring that I'm not used to and liked.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Tonic is a dominant pied mauve male
Gin is an opaline dominant pied sky blue female

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.