Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi genetics experts :D
I have three birds that were confirmed thanks to Nev90 to be violet greys or grey violets (same thing). Since I know that both violet and grey are only colour adding factors, how can you know the base colour of a budgie that has both?
I bred a violet grey recessive pied to a single factor violet cobalt normal back in October and two of their chicks were confirmed to be violet greys like mum.
I can provide pictures if needed :)

Thank you in advance for any insight :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
its tricky..... they can be light medium or dark - skyblue, cobalt or mauve.

Unless you have others to compare the depth of colour to I would rely on breeding results, but of course it helps if they have some blue babies for you!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Visually the base colour of blues and greys (with or without violet) is white. If you are referring to the dark factor, you cannot tell visually in greys or violet greys using the normal methods. Only by breeding can you be sure.

You 'can' notice visual differences between a light grey a grey and a dark grey (zero, one and two dark factors) when they are next to eachother but even then its not exactly straightforward due to standard variation from bird to bird in the strength or weakness of their body colour.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The dark factor can be very difficult to tell on a grey bird because there is a lot of variation in the shades of grey. I have a very dark male that I thought must have 2 dark factors until he was mated to a cobalt hen and produced a sky blue chick. This proves that his dark factor is either 1 or zero

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much to the three of you :) I have passed out some karma your way!

I don't know if this would help in determining Mum's dark factor, but when I bred the mom (who I said is a violet grey recessive pied spangle) with dad (single factor violet cobalt normal/pied). These were the results:

chick # 1: Violet grey spangle
chick # 2: violet sky blue recessive pied spangle
chick #3: Violet grey recessive pied

Thank you again :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
to produce a skyblue the parents must both have only one dark factor. as you know the male has one dark (being cobalt) then the hen must be a light grey or a medium (no dark factor or one).

so that eliminates her being a dark grey...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.