Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is pictures of my pair of budgies Indy & Elijah & 3 of their babies.This is our first clutch and they have 5 babies out of 8 eggs (1 infertile 2 DIS).Indy looks like a normal blue,Elijah is recessive pied.I know a little bit about genetics & mutations so not knowing Indy's exact type I knew that there was a chance they could all come out like mum.But as they get older they are developing differently.Baby 1 clearly got a blue tinge to it's whole head and wings & has black across his head & wings now & little blue pin feathers near his tail.Baby 2 only got a blue tinge across half it's head and wing tips.Baby 3 got half the head but more on the wings than number 2.To me baby 1 looks like normal markings,number 2 & 3 I'm not sure.Can you tell if a baby will be recessive pied this young?& if so does that mean Indy is spilt recessive pied?Pics in order are mum+dad Baby1,Baby2 & Baby3. Baby 4+5 are still pretty naked LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Does Indy have a clear patch at the back of her head? like this one?
This is usually the first indication she is split for r.pied. Even though some are split but do not necessarily have this mark :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Splotch on head?

Even though Indy doesnt have one I have noticed 2 of my boys do does this also count for them being s/recessive pied?I have never really noticed until chimpsrule posted her budgie!

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
The oldest looks like a cobalt normal (like mom), the second one looks like recessive pied (like dad), and the youngest looks normal (like mom). For a chick to be recessive pied, mom is either split for recessive pied or split for a mutation weaker than recessive pied (like dilute).

Parents and chicks are adorable! :D

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The oldest looks like a cobalt normal (like mom), the second one looks like recessive pied (like dad), and the youngest looks normal (like mom). For a chick to be recessive pied, mom is either split for recessive pied or split for a mutation weaker than recessive pied (like dilute).

Parents and chicks are adorable! :D
2nd pic normal
3rd pic clearly recessive
4th pic look at the head and tail pins - its recessive

both parents must carry or be split for recessive to get recessivie chicks - dilute genes are not related here.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
2nd pic normal
3rd pic clearly recessive
4th pic look at the head and tail pins - its recessive
Yes, I do see those white pins in the youngest chick, indicating s/he's recessive pied. Thanks for pointing that out!

both parents must carry or be split for recessive to get recessivie chicks - dilute genes are not related here.
My normal **** bird split for recessive pied paired with my dilute hen produced recessive pied chicks. I read on another site (Nan's No-Tech Genetics, which is no longer available) that recessive pied "wins" over dilute, in which case the hen cannot be split for recessive pied (or else she'd appear recessive pied), and in the recessive pied chicks, the ****'s RP split "won" over the hen's dilute contribution. In other words, a normal **** split for RP x dilute hen will produce 50% normals and 50% recessive pieds. Correct?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
With this pair you could get all three shades of blue

The 1st chick is a normal cobalt
2nd is recessive pied
3rd looks opaline but it could be recessive pied as well

The hen must be split for recessive pied and if the 3rd chick is opaline it will be female and the **** must be split for opaline

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.