Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took some natural light no-flash photos of Terry in the travel cage after coming home from the vet today. I know he's got violet, cinnamon, and some sort of pied. The main thing that confuses me are his wing markings... with how his body color shows through in them. It reminds me of opaline, but he's not opaline.

And a bonus picture (with flash), Terry attacked the millet first thing after he got back into their normal cage, haha.

Oh and a with-flash shot that shows his wings if that helps any

Edit:
The breeder says Terry's mom is a light gray cinnamon regular and his dad is a big bright violet opaline

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
What a beautiful mystery boy. He is a cinnamon blue/violet. But the color in his wings plus the clear splotches on his chest going into bright blue closer to his vent makes me think of both opaline and clearbody. He doesn't have any clear wing feathers so that to me says he isn't a pied mutation. Do you know anything about his parents? Hopefully someone can help you out with this one.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, hmm. Luckily, I got him from a breeder friend so I can e-mail her and ask what his parents are. :)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Angela, I am not good with mutations, but Terry is the most beautiful budgie!!! You took some excellent photos. What did the vet said about his feet? Did you got some special ladders? I am so curious!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! :) The vet said he has a mild case of splayed legs. Once their tests come back next week, I'll get to work on platforms and ladders. But at this point, I've lost over $1,000 (vet fees, thrown out cages and supplies, etc) to birds testing positive for PBFD, so I'm not spending more money on these two until their tests to come back just to be safe.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Oh no, that too. I think you are a wonderful person! Taking them and now this! What about your breeder friends birds?
I had to throw away all my breeding nestboxes and all the toys, perches last year this time, because of red mytes. Now they are inside and I am busy with my pvc pipe aviary for outside again and I do hope that this time I can keep out the red mytes (fire finches) get inside bird cages and a lot of doves visiting the cages. Hope they get better soon!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no, that too. I think you are a wonderful person! Taking them and now this! What about your breeder friends birds?
I had to throw away all my breeding nestboxes and all the toys, perches last year this time, because of red mytes. Now they are inside and I am busy with my pvc pipe aviary for outside again and I do hope that this time I can keep out the red mytes (fire finches) get inside bird cages and a lot of doves visiting the cages. Hope they get better soon!!
My breeder friend hasn't picked up any diseases that she knows of, but she sells at the shows where I bought my first PBFD+ birds. So that's why I'm wary and waiting on the test results. She could've easily carried it home on her shoes and exposed her aviary to it or something. We'll know when the tests come back!

But yeah I didn't mean anything about Bea and Terry having it. I just won't know until the test results come back, and they take a week to process. So don't worry, no crisis yet! :p I just don't want to spend money on ramps and platforms until I know for sure.

terry is a handsome lad :)
Thank you! :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The color showing in his wings is called opalescence. It doesn't mean that he is opaline. I don't think he's any type of pied. In the last two pictures he looks like a fallow but I can't tell if his eyes are dark red

The patchiness in his body color could be caused by feather stress.

What a pity he was allowed him to grow up with splayed legs. An experienced breeder would have fixed the problem when it first started to develop

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, feather stress? :eek:hno: I hope not, or if it is I hope I can calm down whatever the source of it was. He is a very hyperactive bird, when he hears the rest of my budgies across the house making noise, he flock calls frantically pacing in circles. The breeder said he used to pace when she walked in the room, maybe that was him freaking out like this.

I'll check tomorrow to see if his eyes are dark red or black. Honestly I haven't looked under all those feathers yet. :laughing2:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The breeder says Terry's mom is a light gray cinnamon regular and his dad is a big bright violet opaline

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Tiimarie,

Yes agreed...great looking bird...the opalescence does let him look extra special...I would have gone for an "opaline guess" myself, but given Nev mentioned the same for one of my birds...and the absence of the mantle to back of head, puts that gene-option to bed.....I'm however still not sure how such opalescence occur, or what the genetic reasons are for it though....it looks great none-the-less, for whatever reason it happens....

Nev,
Such opalescence isn't a sign of a bird being "split" for it, is it?

The color showing in his wings is called opalescence. It doesn't mean that he is opaline. I don't think he's any type of pied. In the last two pictures he looks like a fallow but I can't tell if his eyes are dark red

The patchiness in his body color could be caused by feather stress.

What a pity he was allowed him to grow up with splayed legs. An experienced breeder would have fixed the problem when it first started to develop
Hi Nev,
..maybe a question ..best asked somewhere outside this thread subject....but how does "splayed-legs" get treated?...if treated at early age, as you've suggested?

..and what would be the cause...does it occur from hatching age / any condition in the nest?

thx for now!
jdk

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Nev,
Such opalescence isn't a sign of a bird being "split" for it, is it?
Some people think it's a sign that the bird is split for opaline but as hens can also show opalescence the theory doesn't hold water
Hi Nev,
..maybe a question ..best asked somewhere outside this thread subject....but how does "splayed-legs" get treated?...if treated at early age, as you've suggested?

..and what would be the cause...does it occur from hatching age / any condition in the nest?
Splayed legs can be caused by deficiencies but more common causes are a wet or slippery base in the nest or the hen sitting too tightly on the chick. Often adding extra bedding in the nest and putting a large marble in the nest to keep the hen up from the chicks will prevent splayed legs developing. If they do get splayed legs it is easily fixed in a few days with a string noose. Treatment needs to be done before the chick is two weeks old because if the condition is left too long it can't be cured

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Based on what his parents are, he is definitely a cinnamon violet with a possible split to opaline. But regardless, he is gorgeous and he better come back negative for any and all diseases! It's not allowed!
Thanks! :) What do you think about the white feathers that made me think he was pied? Do you think it's feather stress and the markings will go away in a future molt or something?

Argh I hope so! I've been going crazy all weekend, knowing that the days "didn't count" towards the day when the vet will call. Now that it's a weekday again I'm all like "okay it's a weekday again, one day down only a few more to go." :eek: I'm hoping for the call around Wednesday-Thursday. I'm all paranoid too when I scrub my hands after changing their food. Or when I leave their room I feel like I'm trailing some mega-germ around on my feet. Ahhhhh.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.