Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)

Lately, I've become more and more interested in learning about budgie mutations and have tried determining mutations among many different budgies.

I'm trying to sharpen up my skills a little bit more so I was thinking, "What better way to sharpen them than to test myself?"

If you could, please post pictures of your budgies with their names on this thread and I'll try to get their mutation! :D Maybe I can have Nev or ATV to guide me and see if I'm right or wrong :eek:

Send in those pictures! :D

·
Banned
7,128 Posts
My budgies want to be included. I already know what they are, but whatever.

I wish I had some good pics of Ringo Starr...she was like a greywing or something interesting. But alas, I don't.

Good luck.

FIGARO​

SUKIYAKI MAKI MAKI

ALOHA-COCONUT

·
Banned
7,128 Posts
I just have to say, that this one is adorable. With all of it's baby bars and it's stubby little tail....precious.

But before you stone me, (even though I'm not an adulterer) All the budgies in this thread are adorable too of course. ;)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh gosh, I'm nervous!! I wish I studied a little harder! :eek:

Okies.. here I go.

SpickyDavis - Hmm, judging from that picture I can't really be sure but I think it may be either of the two:
- Male Dark Green
- Male Yellow Face Type II

Budgieloveee -
Zuc - Male Opaline Dark Green
Little Joe - Male Yellow Face Type I Sky Blue
Charlie - Male Yellow Face Type I Opaline Sky Blue

Mindy-
Kitty - Female Yellow Face Type II Greywing Sky Blue (I'm a little confused on whether she is Greywing or Dilute)
Toby - Male Dark Green Clearflight
Summer - Female Lutino

keet_tweet4 -
Figaro - Female Colablt Opaline
Sukiyaki Maki Maki - Male Recessive Pied Sky Blue (Not sure whether he is DFDP or RC)
Aloha Coconut - Female Yellow Face Type II Opaline Cobalt :)S :S :S)

Toot -
Frankie Do Bird - Female Yellow Face Type I Opaline Sky Blue

Nev90 -
1. Male Muave Spangle
2. Female Muave Cinnamon
3. Female Recessive Pied (Not sure with the blue band on the bottom)
4. Male Double Factor Dominant Pied Opaline Cobalt
5. Female Lacewing

I'm not even sure with half of the mutations!! :( I wasn't as ready as I thought! I'm sure I'm way off with a few haha

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Here's my answers for your comparison:
SpickyDavies
Type 2 yellow face sky blue (not sure)

Budgieloveee (Alexandra)
Zuc - Opaline grey green (The cheek patches show that it’s grey green)
Little joe – Type 1 yellow face sky blue
Charlie – Type 1 yellow face opaline sky blue (possibly single factor violet as well)

Mindy
Toby – Clearlight pied dark green
Kitty – Because of the colour of it’s tail I think it’s another clearflight even though it doesn’t have clear flight feathers. Yellow face cinnamon or clearflight sky blue
Summer – Lutino (assuming the red eyes are not just caused by the flash)

keet_tweet4 (Haley)
FIGARO – Opaline cobalt
SUKIYAKI MAKI MAKI – Recessive pied sky blue
ALOHA-COCONUT – Type 2 yellow face opaline cobalt

TOOT (TooT)
Frankie Do Bird – Opaline sky blue

Nev90
Photo 1 – Clearwing mauve
Photo 2 – Cinnamon mauve
Photo 3 – Type 2 yellow face recessive pied cobalt
Photo 4 – Dominant pied spangle cobalt (I added this one to make it hard for you)
Photo 5 – Green series lacewing

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wowies haha! At least I got a 8 right :) Thank you Nev! :)

I have a few questions though that's puzzling me..

Would your 4th photo budgie be just a Dominant Pied or a Double Factor? :S

Would Toot's Frankie Do Bird be a Yellow Face?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think you did very well. I missed the yellow face on Toot's bird. Mindy's Kitty is very difficult and so is my 4th photo. Recessive pieds like Sukiyaki Maki Maki are not usually described as double factor because to be a recessive pied the gene must come from both parents anyway.

Just saw your last post so I'll edit this:
My 4th photo is a dominant pied spangle. His parents were a dominant pied hen and a spangle ****. A double factor dominant pied's parents would both be dominant pieds,

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just have to say, that this one is adorable. With all of it's baby bars and it's stubby little tail....precious.

But before you stone me, (even though I'm not an adulterer) All the budgies in this thread are adorable too of course. ;)
I have to agree even though all the birdies are beautiful the little stump tail has stolen my heart

:love: :)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you did very well. I missed the yellow face on Toot's bird. Mindy's Kitty is very difficult and so is my 4th photo. Recessive pieds like Sukiyaki Maki Maki are not usually described as double factor because to be a recessive pied the gene must come from both parents anyway.

Just saw your last post so I'll edit this:
My 4th photo is a dominant pied spangle. His parents were a dominant pied hen and a spangle ****. A double factor dominant pied's parents would both be dominant pieds,
Ooh okay, thanks for clearing that up :)

On Sukiyaki Maki Maki, I typed in Double Factor Dominant Pied and then later changed my mind to Recessive Pied but forgot to delete the DF before it :eek:

This was really great as I got to learn sooo much more about mutations that I wouldn't even have thought about before :) If people want to keep submitting photos, it'll be really helpful. Thanks Nev :)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Great job, Aaralyn and Nev! I know nothing about mutations, but all of those words that you both used sound so scientific! :p

Now I finally know all of my budgies' mutations! :D
Thanks! :)
:budgie:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Here are a few more for ya softie - none of the mutations i have are very complicated :)

Jessie

Tweety

Still Tweety ( i know this is a old pic but Tweety no longer lets me get belly shots lol)

Opal

Zoey

Hope

Shadow

Minnie

an older pic of Minnie( not the best quality sorry)

and one last one

Jasmine

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oooh, this should be fun ATV!! :D

But before I get to your mutations (which I will right after this post), I wanted to ask some clarification on this certain mutation:

Is she a YF2 Dilute Recessive Pied?

·
Budgie ESL tutor
1,461 Posts
I'd be interested to see what you say, since you know her yellowface has disappeared so is she still called a yellow face??? :S

Shows her wings

:)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ATV -
Jessie - YF2 Cobalt Opaline
Tweety - Dominant Pied Coablt
Opal - Light Green Opaline Cinnamon
Zoey - YF1 Cobalt Opaline Cinnamon (Not sure if she is a Cobalt or Violet :S)
Hope - YF2 Dominant Pied Opaline
Shadow - Grey Opaline Spangle
Minnie - YF1 Violet (determining violet from her second photo)
Jasmine - YF2 Sky Blue Cinnamon (I think Cinnamon)

Rei -
Pitchii - I have no idea on yellow face's changing :S But I think Pitchii is a Cobalt Opaline

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.