Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
So I just wanted to drop by and say that yesterday we acquired six new additions to out fish tank!
I've kept fish for almost a decade!
It started with goldfish, then little eight-year-old me decided that I must have a fish tank, so I got that and I've learned so much about fish.

Anyways, after the goldfish, we kept zebra danios (also known as zebra fish) for a while, and the problem was that one would die and we would just keep replacing them, so we've had danios for years. They live for so long! They are only "supposed" to live 2-3 years, but our seemingly immortal rascals have lived for almost 6 or 7 years!

At any rate, when we moved into the house we live in now, we brought over
our tank and danios--Gwin, Edoc'sil, Eöwyn, Sirillia, Theoden, and Memo.

Memo turned cannibalistic and ate Theoden.
:eek:
Then the heater exploded and killed Memo.

Okay, so now we have Gwin, Edoc'sil, Eowyn, and Sirillia.

Gwin was already like 5 years old--she was my personal favorite. Anway, she started getting old, and Edoc'sil chased her to death.

Okay, now we're left with Edoc'sil, Eowyn and Sirillia.

Edoc'sil was pretty crazy--he was fine in a big school but after we just stopped replacing the danios, he started beating up Eowyn and Sirillia.

Finally, we put him into private seclusion in a fishbowl where he lived out the end of his days for a year or two.

As of the day before yesterday, we still had Eowyn and Sirillia (I know, seriously, they were immortal) and Sirillia ended up passing away at around six years of age.
Eowyn's still going strong, which is just really strange since she's also quite old.

Anways, we'd had platies and other fish before (I actually raised a few platy babies a few months back) but the danios, as aggressive schooling fish, just would not get along with them, and everyone ended up getting stressed out and dying. :rolleyes:

Okay, so the point of this is to say that now that we only have one danio for the first time in history, practically, (since we stopped replacing them like 4 years ago) we've decided to start a new school of more peaceful fish--Neon tetras!

I've always loved tetras, and as of yesterday I'm pleased to welcome
Natasha
Hawkeye
Tony Stark
Cap
Thor
and
Brucie

to the tank!

That was long winded. Anways, just saying. I'll see if maybe I can post pics but as all you fishkeepers know, a good fish photo takes FOREVER to take! ;)

Three cheers for the Avenge-fish! :D :laughing: :nuts:

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,537 Posts
Yes we're very interested to see your Avenger Fishes!:D

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ummm.... I've had neon tetras in the past.... My question.. can you really differentiate who is who?? I must have been a neglectful fish parent.. I may not have been able to tell. Do neons reproduce like crazy?? I can't remember.
They are cute little fishies.
Long live your avenger fishes!!
No, haha, we just pretend we can tell them apart :giggle: They're too quick to get a good look at them anyway, but as a rule, the littlest one is Natasha and the biggest one is Brucie :laughing:
I think you're thinking of guppies, those multiply like crazy! I don't think tetras do, though.
Hehe, avenge-fish assemble!

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,764 Posts
Ooh I love fish tanks! :) I have been out of the hobby for some time though... I can't wait to see your fish Starling, including Eowyn!

Waaay back, wait... I'm talking about the 90's here, not the 60's :D lol. I started with saltwater and reefs... no forums then. Lost lots of money, then eventually got up to speed on water chem, species, and the technology of the time. Even when forums were around for a while, I did not know what a forum was haha! Forums sure make things easier huh? :)
I also had several different freshwater tanks. Once, I had gotten 2 large size mature angelfish. I put the two large fish plus other species in a 25 gallon tank (and despite that not being optimal) I had beginner's luck. The two angels got along well, and didn't even bully the other small fish too badly. Then, on a regular basis, they laid eggs and babies would hatch!! Well, they didn't last too long against the other fish and the filter, and I had no room for the facility or knowledge to raise them anyway. I guess my water must have been just right :). Then, one day, after a year or two maybe, I guess the male didn't want the female around anymore and beat her to death :(. I don't know why he did it, but but perhaps they started needing a bigger tank.

One time I had a tank with a school of 4 Boesmani Rainbows among other fish. I had them for a few years until they were mature (males) and had beautiful colors and ****** backs. They all looked a little different where I could tell them apart. They didn't have names though ;)

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,516 Posts
I love fish tanks, I sold mine to make room for bird cages...lol neons are gorgeous fish, have you ever seen black neons? There are many peaceful fish you can put in with neons, harlequin rasboras are a nice one. Neons do not reproduce well in the home aquarium as they need specific conditions for the eggs to hatch, however you may see them scatter eggs every now and they if they are happy.. The eggs will get eaten and are a good dietary supplement...lol

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update with pictures!!

Here's a quick update with the promised pictures ;)
I'd like to say that at first I was very worried that Eowyn would bully the new Avengers (even though they are the Avengers, even super-fish need some TLC sometimes ;)) but I'm pleased to say that after some initial bickering, they're doing just fine and even schooling all together! I've noticed that Eowyn has implemented some rules, though:
Eowyn's Rules:
-Never try to eat food at the top of the tank while I'm eating food or I'll beat you up.
-Don't sneak up on me or I'll beat you up
-Other than that, we can be friends
:laughing: It's true, though. As long as the Avengers abide by these rules, everyone's fine! ;)

Here are some pictures!

It took me a while to experiment with lighting to figure out how they would come out clearest--the verdict is that flash works the best with fish tanks, surprisingly. My scientific explanation of this is that since the speed of light is so fast, the shutter has to be faster to capture the flash and therefore makes quickly moving things clearer!
Ok, with no further ado:
These are the "natural light" ones.

A random one with the tank light on, but it didn't make it any better!
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah282/StarlingWings/Fish/Fish4_zp****58i5r.jpg

Here are the good ones with the flash--you can't see their "neoness" as well, but you can see them much clearer.

Bruce, Thor, Natasha and Tony? A very vague guess, can't really tell them apart :giggle:

Aaaand here is Lady Eowyn, the lone zebra danio :laughing: She is sooo fast, the only good picture of her was one with the flash. She's quite pretty, when she's not causing conflict :rolleyes:

Thanks for viewing the Avenge-fish! :D :wave:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aw, your fish are so pretty.
I used to have a goldfish called Gutbucket, he did nothing but eat till he outgrew his fishtank and had to be put into the pond. We fed him for a few more weeks till he just vannished, my mum thought he was picked up by a bird till a year later when we cleaned out the pond and found him having a fight with a frog. He lived for another year and doubled in size before actually being picked up by a bird. In total we had him for 3 years and he grew to 5 1/2 inches.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
I'm familiar with those little ones, they do have beautiful and shiny colours! :D
I used to have fish back when there wasn't much info on how to keep them, also before the internet became accessible for people.
I didn't know they were called neon, but it does make sense.
I still have my fully equipped fish tank, but I'm not venturing back into them, they are better off without me. :eek:
I may make use of the tank for another sea creature in the near future, maybe a little pet turtle. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aw, your fish are so pretty.
I used to have a goldfish called Gutbucket, he did nothing but eat till he outgrew his fishtank and had to be put into the pond. We fed him for a few more weeks till he just vannished, my mum thought he was picked up by a bird till a year later when we cleaned out the pond and found him having a fight with a frog. He lived for another year and doubled in size before actually being picked up by a bird. In total we had him for 3 years and he grew to 2 inches.
Oh my goodness, what a story! That gave me a chuckle ;) :giggle:

·
Administrator
59,649 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your Avenge-Fish, Star. :D

When I was young, my parents had a huge 5' long fish-tank with all different kinds of beautiful fish! I remember my Mother separating the pregnant females out into special little containers that were still in the tank but up at the top so the others couldn't eat the babies as they were born. I used to love to watch all the fish swim around and try to keep track of them as they played among the plants with one another.

Of course, as a child I had the requisite goldfish of my own.
The most recent fish I had were betta. (Only one at a time)
Mr. Fish (original name, right?) was a simply beautiful fellow and lived to be over 4 years old. He would jump up for food and if I'd take a pen and run it along side his tank he'd chase it.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your Avenge-Fish, Star. :D

When I was young, my parents had a huge 5' long fish-tank with all different kinds of beautiful fish! I remember my Mother separating the pregnant females out into special little containers that were still in the tank but up at the top so the others couldn't eat the babies as they were born. I used to love to watch all the fish swim around and try to keep track of them as they played among the plants with one another.

Of course, as a child I had the requisite goldfish of my own.
The most recent fish I had were betta. (Only one at a time)
Mr. Fish (original name, right?) was a simply beautiful fellow and lived to be over 4 years old. He would jump up for food and if I'd take a pen and run it along side his tank he'd chase it.
That's awesome, Deb! I love fish, they're so interesting. The platy babies were a fun experience for sure ;) It was pretty stressful trying to predict when the female was due so we could separate her into a breeding trap! :eek:
My first fish as a child was a goldfish, too, I had one named Peaches and then I got him a friend named Peaches Jr. and they both died on the same day a few months later :eek:
My next goldfish was Flurry and she was albino, I loved her so much I bought her the fish tank we still have now, but I was inexperienced enough to forget that the tank had to cycle first and she died :( :rolleyes:
I had a betta, too, once, named Bluefire (he was blue, what a surprise! ;)) and he had a bad life because the day I got him his bowl broke in the middle of the night and he was always stressed after that :eek:

Mr. Fish sounds like quite a character! ;)
Tony, Brucie, Natasha, Cap, Thor and Hawkeye send their love :p

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,537 Posts
Aww, such pretty little tetras. You should also get some guppies and a betta too.;)

BTW, how big is your tank?:)

Reactions: StarlingWings

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,764 Posts
I only just saw your new pics today! I'm glad I didn't miss it! The neons are beautiful :) and I like how the blue gravel complements their colors. I hope they learn to be okay with Lady Eowyn's rules! :D

Do you have plans to add any more Avengers?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Long live your fishies! I see you have a conflict of worlds here... Lord of the Rings and Avengers?! Haha, someone ate King Theoden! ;)
Long Live the avenger fishies!

Reactions: StarlingWings

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aww, such pretty little tetras. You should also get some guppies and a betta too.;)

BTW, how big is your tank?:)
Thanks, Nick!
I was actually planning to get a betta once Lady Eowyn passed on, I don't want to get one with her since danios are known to bite at long, flowing fins.
My tank is 10 gallons :D

I only just saw your new pics today! I'm glad I didn't miss it! The neons are beautiful :) and I like how the blue gravel complements their colors. I hope they learn to be okay with Lady Eowyn's rules! :D

Do you have plans to add any more Avengers?
Well, thank you ;) They all seem to be coexisting in peace for now :giggle:
I am actually planning to add a betta fish sometime, after Eowyn dies. That sounds like I'm planning ahead of her death, but I don't want her to harass the betta because of his flowing fins. Besides--she's already six! :laughing:

Long live your fishies! I see you have a conflict of worlds here... Lord of the Rings and Avengers?! Haha, someone ate King Theoden! ;)
Long Live the avenger fishies!
Thank you Akaela! Yes, definitely some major world crossover :giggle: We had a Prince Caspian at one point with the danios also, there've been quite a few random fish with namesakes in our favorite "realms" :rolleyes:
Yeah, that actually was sort of comical :laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.