Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
That post is very interesting, not something you think of with indoor pets,but it makes a lot of sense. I have just been found to be short of vitamin D3 myself. Britain is in quite Northern latitudes and our weather can be very overcast.
I think I will get some of these lights for my pair.
A treat coming for you Daisy and Barry. I hope it wont scare you off the cage top!

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know that I don't get enough sunlight either nelliemoser so I take a D3 capsule daily to compensate. Luckily from recent x-rays taken I have no sign of Osteoporosis at the age of 60.

As a child though I did get plenty of sunshine and calcium which has helped a great deal. Apparently with humans you have a greater chance of Osteoporosis if you don't get sufficient sun and calcium as a child so it has to come from a very early age as well.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Very interesting article. I just got my first budgie, and definitely want to make sure he doesn't develop a vitamin deficiency!

If I supplement his food and/or water, will that be sufficient, or do you guys think a UVB light is necessary? I keep reptiles, so I'm already familiar with the concept. However, I know the animal needs to get within 8 inches or so of the bulb to properly absorb the rays. And I've read that it's stressful for a budgie to shine a light directly on them...

·
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You need to get a specific Vitamin D3 supplement and not a multi-vitamin. Multi-Vitamins don't have sufficient D3 in them. Of course Sunshine is the best source and if you can get your birds outside for some periods of time it is best. But not always possible in the winter period.

With the lights it is not only UVB that is necessary, you need one that has the full spectrum, UVA, UVB and UVC.

If you want to go with the supplement, Vetafarm Australia put out one that was specifically designed with budgies in mind, that is Soluvite D. I cannot access the International site as it detects I am in Australia. You can purchase the Soluvite D via mail order from there and I think you can do a search to find a distributor in your area in America. They are usually pretty prompt with their mail orders.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What about the countries that dont get much sunshine even in the summer like England where i live.What is this productthat you can sprinkle on their food.Can anyone tell me?:budge::eng:

·
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Don't know about one that you can sprinkle over food but you can get the Vetafarm Soluvite D that goes in the water.

They only need about 15 minutes of sunlight a day but you can combine that into a couple of days a week, like an hour every few days.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well, now I've heard from another source (a local budgie breeder) that TOO much D3 is bad for them, so I'm not sure where the line between ideal and over-doing it would be. Thinking about just going with a multivitamin and some avian lighting. Natural sunlight might be an option for me in the summer, but definitely not in the colder months (and it doesn't even warm up until July where I am).

·
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes too much D3 can be a problem. I suggest that in the cooler months you give them the Soluvite D and in the warmer period you try to give them the natural sun when possible. If you follow the directions on the Soluvite D they will not get an overdose especially in the cooler months when they don't usually drink as much as in the warmer months.

Remember that in the wild they are in much more sunlight all year through even in the cooler months as they are a desert or semi desert bird. Not that many trees around for them to shelter in or under. They are in the sunlight pretty much all day foraging for food.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Great!

I saw Vetafarm Soluvet D with a cute budgie on it. :p
Baaji has swollen preen gland, and Dr Ross Perry think that is related to Vitamin D deficiency.

He doesnt like sunning. Usually he will be the one hide in the shade when sunning. if I remove thw shade, he will pant and stay at the bottom. Why this bird hate sun so much? :p

Any good time for sunning? Will 11am do more efficent job than 9am when the UV is higher? but I do think heat will be a problem.

·
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Connie it would be best if they were not outside at the hottest parts of the day. I am not sure where you are but here in Australia it is usually betwen 11am and 3pm that are the hottest times of the day.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
yeah Kate, i think so.
i am wondering how other members' birds get sunning.
basically will be sat and sun.

i m looking forward to the new soluvite D3.

·
Registered
428 Posts
so if our budgies are placed in doors in a cage they will be sickly and die because they don't get any natural sunlight? i have my guy placed near a window, but apparently the UV rays don't come through the glass? so should i open the window next to his cage?
It depends on what kind of glass your windows have. Plain glass lets all the UV in, but many modern windows have UV coatings that block UV. If you have an older house with single pane windows, or an attached greenhouse, those windows are probably plain glass. If you have a newer house with double or triple pane windows, it's safe to assume the windows have a UV coating.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am so glad to have stumbled on this article soon after purchasing a budgie again for the first time in years. I knew budgies needed sunlight just like virtually any animal, but I did not know that many windows do not let in UVB rays which provide D3. But I am relieved to read the above post, which indicates that since the building I live in is considered historic, so by law, the landlord is not allowed to change the windows, they are the old type that, if the above poster is correct, should let UVB light in.

This was also an important article for me because I recently discovered that I suffer from a vitamin D deficiency, not because I do not get enough sun exposure or vitamin D in my diet, but because my body, like my dad's and my grandmother's, has trouble absorbing vitamin D. I also have a really poor immune system and a mood disorder. I believe now strongly that my vitamin D deficiency is directly linked to these health problems and that I must make great strides toward improving my vitamin D intake through dietary supplements.

So thanks so much for posting this, I found it quite profound! :)

--Amy :budgie:

·
Banned
3,545 Posts
Yes, too much direct Sun and its over! These birds can heat up quickly...I usually take my entire flock out on my balcony at about 1PM and leave them until around 6PM. I do have great amount of shade here but there are times of the day that the entire flight cage is hit. That said, I always place a blanket on the side where the Sun comes in, so when it does, I just lower the blanket which is fine because even in the shade your bird is still getting those UV Rays. I also add a a few Baths and since I am home, will mist them time to time just to play around with them which they love most of the time. Some will be like, HEY MAN! I just got done preening!! AAK!! AAK!! ;)

In the cooler time like now even here in the Caribbeans, I have 2 huge windows in my living room, so that's where they go...Plenty of Sun coming in. So if you too have any windows with some good Sun, give it a try, UV does come through windows but it may depend on that window..Today's homes may be built to block those rays, but not sure..

Anthony

·
Registered
77 Posts
:DI went to a Budgie Show yesterdat and Don Bourke was also there :) he was very informative and knowledgable. I immediately went and brought liquid Vitamin D3 and put my budigies out in the sun after his talk.

·
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I am glad you found his talk informative. He is a very knowledgeable man. I always enjoy catching up with Don when I see him.

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,230 Posts
can I ask something? Every morning I put my cages outside, so the birds can be exposed to sunlight for 10 minutes. The vet said that I should do that every day (as long as the temperature is not low) and it's good for their bones and feathers. Is this enough for them, or should I put Vitamin D3 to their water? thanks in advance.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.