Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened again, I just had another lovebird to do the good ol' gender switcheroo! And mind you, I am still recuperating after a few months back having found out my Khaleesi is a male.
I have had Penguin for almost 2 years now (he was a stray who landed on my lovebirds couple cage and since no one claimed he became part of the flock). During this entire time, Penguin's behaviour indicated me he was male. I have never seen this bird doing the airplane position that female lovebirds do and he chased my younger lovebird, Lotas trying to "mount" him for better lack of words.

Lately, I have been noticing Penguin was getting somewhat bulkier in size and a couple of days ago, while I was taking some pictures for the bird contest I saw "he" was definitely eggnant and was shocked. The droppings have always been the normal size for a lovebird and I know how they look like since my other lovebird, Sindel had the gigantic poops while breeding.

This morning when I uncovered the cage, there it was a perfect egg. A big one, considering this was her first.

I put a 1€ coin for size comparison

Here is eggnant Penguin two days ago

I hope Penguin doesn't lay more eggs, I have removed this one since she showed no interest and to be honest I don't want her to nest.

·
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And this is Penguin's cagemate, Fénix who I believe is a girl too. I know for a fact that no mating was involved. Only for the last couple of months have they been more friendly, even though there is more preening between the two, there is still no food exchange between them, but they do stay glued together to sleep each night, just like bonded pairs do.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Things that make you go hmmmm.....:S I just love that penguins color scheme...:)

Reactions: aluz

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,539 Posts
Lovely lovebirds, Aluz! The thing I love about LBs is they always look happy with their wide eyes and smiley beaks:D

·
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for commenting, everyone! :)

Here is another pic of Penguin, I couldn't download on my previous posts.

Fénix was supposed to be Lotas' mate, but since they didn't get along, Penguin was the next choice and they hit it off.
I'm well aware they are different sub species and it is not my intention to breed them. I don't even know Penguin's real age, she has no leg band and already had her adult colours when I rescued her.

I will make a thread on the whole lovebird flock, possibly after the bird contest! ;)

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,539 Posts
Thanks for commenting, everyone! :)

Here is another pic of Penguin, I couldn't download on my previous posts.

Fénix was supposed to be Lotas' mate, but since they didn't get along, Penguin was the next choice and they hit it off.
I'm well aware they are different sub species and it is not my intention to breed them. I don't even know Penguin's real age, she has no leg band and already had her adult colours when I rescued her.

I will make a thread on the whole lovebird flock, possibly after the bird contest! ;)
Just look at that Chilly Willy face!:D

Reactions: aluz

·
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just look at that Chilly Willy face!:D
Penguin is my silliest looking bird on the flock, and I love her to bits! This is my favourite pic of her.:giggle:

And another one

·
Registered
521 Posts
What a little scamp, she sure had you fooled,lol...she's a pretty girl.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Penguin is my silliest looking bird on the flock, and I love her to bits! This is my favourite pic of her.:giggle:

And another one
That's about the funniest thing I've seen :laughing:

·
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's about the funniest thing I've seen :laughing:
Exactly, Deanna! That's why Penguin is such a gem, even when I'm having a bad day, I just need to look at her face and all her hilarious expressions makes me laugh all the time! It never fails! :D

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Darn these gender surprises!

She's incredibly cute though and so is Fénix. That is one cute egg too.

Your experience with Khaleesi has me paranoid that Kree is female. It would be so strange to find out I've had it wrong all this time. He exhibits male behaviors like being better at mimicking and being less cuddly, not throwing food everywhere inside the cage. Male conures usually have a wider forehead but his is somewhere in the middle of male and female. Yesterday I tried feeling his pelvis and Arra's pelvis for comparison but I couldn't tell if there was a difference LOL I might just have to get him DNA'd to put myself out of my misery.
The problem is that the test involves yanking out one of his feathers or close cutting his toe nails and while I wouldn't normally be bothered doing such things, he has trust issues and I'd be afraid he wouldn't forgive me. He's come so far.

Just like Penguin and Fénix, I have no intention of breeding them, they are not the same subspecies and their babies would be hybrids. I don't have a problem with hybrids personally, as long as they are clearly marked as hybrids and sold as pets but I'd be terrified the babies wouldn't be healthy or something.

·
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Darn these gender surprises!

She's incredibly cute though and so is Fénix. That is one cute egg too.

Your experience with Khaleesi has me paranoid that Kree is female. It would be so strange to find out I've had it wrong all this time. He exhibits male behaviors like being better at mimicking and being less cuddly, not throwing food everywhere inside the cage. Male conures usually have a wider forehead but his is somewhere in the middle of male and female. Yesterday I tried feeling his pelvis and Arra's pelvis for comparison but I couldn't tell if there was a difference LOL I might just have to get him DNA'd to put myself out of my misery.
The problem is that the test involves yanking out one of his feathers or close cutting his toe nails and while I wouldn't normally be bothered doing such things, he has trust issues and I'd be afraid he wouldn't forgive me. He's come so far.

Just like Penguin and Fénix, I have no intention of breeding them, they are not the same subspecies and their babies would be hybrids. I don't have a problem with hybrids personally, as long as they are clearly marked as hybrids and sold as pets but I'd be terrified the babies wouldn't be healthy or something.
Oh my, hopefully you have your genders right...

Believe me, I still mourn for Khaleesi's gender switch. While raising him since he was a chick, he would display the "airplane" female mating position and he would do this on a daily basis.
When he started to enter the teenage phase at around 6 months old, I had no doubt my "princess" Khaleesi was a boy, she would mate with her toys and still does and leaves a sample every time after reaching climax. And I'm sure that's not poop remains.
I kind of feel bad for having named him a girl name, but now it's too late, because he responds when I call him Khaleesi and I don't have the heart to change his name now.

I'm not 100% sure whether Fénix is a fischer's or a black masked lovebird. She is a dark eyed clear split to Ino and in both species there hardly is any difference. Maybe a true expert can know the difference, but for now I'm including Fénix in the fischer's sub species.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Oh my, hopefully you have your genders right...

Believe me, I still mourn for Khaleesi's gender switch. While raising him since he was a chick, he would display the "airplane" female mating position and he would do this on a daily basis.
When he started to enter the teenage phase at around 6 months old, I had no doubt my "princess" Khaleesi was a boy, she would mate with her toys and still does and leaves a sample every time after reaching climax. And I'm sure that's not poop remains.
I kind of feel bad for having named him a girl name, but now it's too late, because he responds when I call him Khaleesi and I don't have the heart to change his name now.

I'm not 100% sure whether Fénix is a fischer's or a black masked lovebird. She is a dark eyed clear split to Ino and in both species there hardly is any difference. Maybe a true expert can know the difference, but for now I'm including Fénix in the fischer's sub species.
As feminine a name as Khaleesi is, luckily he doesn't know the difference, I wouldn't be able to rename him either. It's not even a name you can slightly change to make more masculine!

I know nothing about Lovebirds but I know that Fénix is 100% cute. I didn't realise they came in so many variations. His mutation is really really pretty.

·
Member of the Month July 2014
3,835 Posts
Those pictures of Penguin are priceless, she is beautiful and a Bird that will make you smile with those priceless expressions :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh boy, I know the feeling! My Julio, for example has been doing the airplane position with my budgie Chico. Attempts to shred paper and stuff it under his wings but does a lousy job :D Is a lot more vocal than my female Pepy: he's the first to sing in the morning and the last to chirp even when the lights are out at night... So I think I should be calling him Julia, but even if he may be a she, it's still Julio for me :)
Then there's Pepy, who's currently sitting on 3 infertile eggs... I removed the first, in the hope that she would stop, but she just continued laying.
Lucky for you that Penguin did not show any interest in the egg... Hopefully she will not continue to lay more eggs.
I am impressed by the fact that Penguin is so manageable even though you came in contact with her as an adult. Your lovebirds are all so beautiful.

·
21,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh boy, I know the feeling! My Julio, for example has been doing the airplane position with my budgie Chico. Attempts to shred paper and stuff it under his wings but does a lousy job :D Is a lot more vocal than my female Pepy: he's the first to sing in the morning and the last to chirp even when the lights are out at night... So I think I should be calling him Julia, but even if he may be a she, it's still Julio for me :)
Then there's Pepy, who's currently sitting on 3 infertile eggs... I removed the first, in the hope that she would stop, but she just continued laying.
Lucky for you that Penguin did not show any interest in the egg... Hopefully she will not continue to lay more eggs.
I am impressed by the fact that Penguin is so manageable even though you came in contact with her as an adult. Your lovebirds are all so beautiful.
You never know for sure until they get DNA tested or obviously when an egg is laid. I was wrong twice already when judging genders by behaviour only.
I'm sorry your Pepy is still very determined with the egg laying.
Fortunately, I never had to deal with a chronic egg laying hen and in my case I have been successful after removing the odd egg and not giving any nesting spots and this always works as their laying cycle is put to a stop.
I'm hoping it will be the same for Penguin.
As to her level of tameness, I had to work a lot with her and I'd say she is semi tame. She steps up to my finger/hand whenever I ask her to and she also enjoys flying a few laps around the room and resting on the bird's play area. Penguin doesn't allow any petting and never bites hard, even though she demolishes wood ladders, toys and the occasional perch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.