Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, Toby and Mac are actively seeking out and eating their Zupreme pellets! I wasn't sure they would ever get off their seed only habit, so I'm just absolutely ecstatic!
They have 3 feeding stations...in one, I put their seed mix, the second has their crumbled up avi-cakes (which they LOVE), and the third has their Zupreme. I started by sprinkling and mixing their pellets from the day before into their seed mix and their avi-cakes, while having fresh pellets available to them as well.
I noticed them a couple of days ago diving into their Zupreme and gobbling them down! :whoo:
Now I can start working on getting them to eat some fresh veggies and leafy greens, and hoping I have as much success with this as well.

For anyone out there feeling discouraged about getting their seed junkie to try a more varied diet, have faith! It's difficult, but not impossible! :)

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Congrat's...good to hear your patience and persistence has paid off...:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone! Sorry it took so long to reply, but things have been pretty crazy here and with the Holidays we were super busy at work.

MineOfBudgies, to answer your question, I have them on the fruit flavored ones. I figured it might help entice them to at least try them if they were colorful. :)

So far no luck on the veggies though. Any suggestions on what might be a good thing to start with? So far, small pieces of carrot and chopped parsley are entirely too terrifying to even look at. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
17,952 Posts
So far no luck on the veggies though. Any suggestions on what might be a good thing to start with? So far, small pieces of carrot and chopped parsley are entirely too terrifying to even look at. :rolleyes:
My girl loves corn--maybe they'd like yellow veggies instead! Just thaw some frozen corn to room temperature (it's best if it's organic, but if not, no big deal) and see if they like that ;) I usually work it with my fingers to get each kernel out of the clear casing so it's easier for her to taste.

Also, you could try hanging the parsley like a little bunch from the top of the cage, like a toy, and see if they'll play with it like that :D

Interestingly, some budgies have colours they simply don't do for veggies/fruits. Mallorn, for one, hates strawberries because they're red. She loves her red ZuPreem pellets (those are her favourite) but she refuses all strawberries, tomatoes, apples with the skin on, etc. :dunno:

Good luck! They'll get curious eventually :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Therm and Starlingwings! I will definitely give that a try. I was hesitant to switch around too quickly and not give them a chance to get curious and try the one thing, but maybe it will pique their curiosity more if I change veggies every couple of days. Ya know, these little boogers sure do make things more difficult than necessary! :whatever: LOL!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.