Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let me just say that I didn't really know where exactly to put this thread, so I'll leave it to the administrators to place it correctly in the forum (I am so so sorry I am just new here and really do not know much about this forum :p)

So.. I am currently thinking of owning one or two more budgies, just to keep Chico some company cause he's been feeling kinda lonely since Pompon passed away.. Plus I am sadly not spending as much time with him as I used to because I am in the middle of school exams I have to spend much time studying.. Of course, I've made this decision through a lot of thinking and I finally gave in to get more budgies for Chico's well being and my crazy budgie addiction *laughs*.

In order to get a new budgie, I've decided to upgrade Chico's cage, as well. I think that a bigger cage + more cagemates will be the perfect solution for Chico's sudden lack of joy and boredom!!

However, I live in a small village in Greece and budgie breeding by professional and caring breeders is not an option cause there are not any.. The only way I can get a pretty healthy budgie is by buying from the biggest and most famous pet shop in our area, since small ones do not pay as much attention to the live birds that they're selling (or any other animal really). Here the only available budgie toys are just some swings, some branches and some mirrors or ladders.. The ropes and all the other interesting budgie toys and cages I've seen online are non-existent.

Please I really want to hear your point of you on whether I should or shouldn't get more budgies and if I should, how many?? Thanks anyways much budgie lovee

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
It's good that you have been thinking carefully about this and you have Chico's best interests at heart.
Given your situation and the fact that you won't be able to give Chico the required daily attention on a long-term basis, then you can get him a same species companion.
The very best option would be to just get one budgie friend for Chico, preferably one male friend for him to be buddies with.
That way, you won't have to worry about unwanted matings and eggs.
More often than not, having 3 budgies sharing a cage will simply not work, because one of them would be left out of the equation, not to mention the fact that the potential for the escalation of fights to happen are much higher.
For detailed information you can check this link: http://talkbudgies.com/articles-gen...ship-differences-dynamics-between-flocks.html

·
Exceptional Service Award August 2017
1,096 Posts
Hi there,
If you search this site for homemade toys, you should hopefully be able to find some good examples of things that you'll be able to gather the bits and pieces for.
Good luck in finding a friend for Chico. :001_smile:

·
Administrator
56,568 Posts
aluz has offered you excellent advice and I'm sure Chico will enjoy having a little male buddy.

Please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.

Quarantine means housing your new bird in a different cage in a different room as far away as possible from the room where your current bird(s) are housed for a period of 30-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Why Quarantine?

When you are ready to introduce your two budgies after the 45 day quarantine period, please be sure to introduce them in neutral territory. Sometimes having two or three supervised meetings prior to moving them into one cage is advisable. Before introducing a budgie into another budgie's cage, the cage should be completely rearranged (perches, toys, food and water dishes) in order to help prevent any potential territorial issues. :)

http://talkbudgies.com/new-budgie-arrivals/34707-introducing-two-budgies.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.