Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to this forum and I need help finding out the sex of my new Budgie. I bought my Budgie Cloudy from pet smart on July 1st, judging by the stripes on their head and their black eyes they are probably >5 months old. I thought they were a boy but now I’m confused. When I got them they’re cere was blue like in the picture, maybe darker, but for a time they had a very pink cere, and now they’re back to blue. I’ve been reading up on the different ways to tell but it seems that when they’re young it’s hard to say for sure and I won’t know until they’ve grown a bit or are at breeding stage. I’m worried of introducing them to the flock of 3 males because they would be the only female if it turns out that way. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
How many birds did you purchase you are speaking as if there is more than one by saying they and them. The bird in the picture is a female. It would be best to keep her caged separate from the boys because there will be fighting amongst them as to who gets to be her best friend. If Cloudy was a male the cere would be pink at this age and for this mutation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many birds did you purchase you are speaking as if there is more than one by saying they and them. The bird in the picture is a female. It would be best to keep her caged separate from the boys because there will be fighting amongst them as to who gets to be her best friend. If Cloudy was a male the cere would be pink at this age and for this mutation.
Im saying they/them because I don’t know their gender yet. And yea that’s the same conclusion I was coming to. ive had her in a separate cage for almost two months now, would it be a bad to put her with the others as she is the only female? Thanks!

·
Administrator
57,216 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

How many other budgies do you have?
I would not recommend putting a female in with multiple males. The males will become aggressive with one another as they vie for her affection.

Additionally, she is quite young and you certainly can't risk any one of them trying to mate with her.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,554 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Your girl is adorable.

I agree with Cody and FaeryBee, they’ve given you excellent advice!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes!

Cheers! 👋

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.