Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on my new girl's mutation. She came home today. She was a stray and has been rehomed twice now. Hoping to give her a more stable environment, but no idea of her parentage.
My son says in certain light her face is much yellower than this picture shows:

Her cheek patches are white, her feet are pink, and her eyes are dark, she is no baby.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking a dark eyed clear. They can be yellow as well but I'm not sure about the patterning on the wings. Maybe someone else can give you a better idea.
I'm not sure what you mean by patterning. Perhaps you are seeing the shadows on her wings? Her entire body is clear pale yellow, except for whiter flight feathers and cheek patches.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
she is a yellow face of some sort, probably mutant 2. she could be a dark eyed clear or a df spangle rec pied.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may be the shadows. Then I would say a Dark eyed clear. What do it's eyes look like? all black or does she have irises?
Her eyes are all black, and her feet are pink. Her cere is that of a mature female I believe, as it is white and brown.

she is a yellow face of some sort, probably mutant 2. she could be a dark eyed clear or a df spangle rec pied.
So the recessive pied could make her eyes dark even if she is a df spangle?
Which would be the more common/likely mutation?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yes, rec pied can remove the iris ring even when the other traits are masked by something like df spangle. it can also cause pink feet, etc which would not usually be what a spangle has. i am not sure which combination is more likely, though clearflights are less common than spangles...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Either yellow face 2 dark eyed clear or yellow face DF spangle. Here are my yellow face dark eyed clear.

The amount of yellow you see on them varies with light but they are definitely not yellow based budgies. A yellow based DEC are quite obviously yellow. http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkeyed If the eyes change color with age though you have a DF spangle instead of a DEC.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, rec pied can remove the iris ring even when the other traits are masked by something like df spangle. it can also cause pink feet, etc which would not usually be what a spangle has. i am not sure which combination is more likely, though clearflights are less common than spangles...
Thanks! I guess I may never know. If I ever let her mate it will probably be with my recessive pied, so that probably won't shed light on anything either.

Either yellow face 2 dark eyed clear or yellow face DF spangle. Here are my yellow face dark eyed clear.

The amount of yellow you see on them varies with light but they are definitely not yellow based budgies. A yellow based DEC are quite obviously yellow. http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkeyed If the eyes change color with age though you have a DF spangle instead of a DEC.
Ooh, they are lovely, just like my Emery. Are they girls or boys, and what are their names?
Thanks for sharing your pics, I've been searching online for pics of YF dark eyed clears and there is nothing! Yours are gorgeous. My girl's face shows a lot of yellow too in daylight, I posted some pics earlier under "Pretty yellow face".

·
Registered
882 Posts
The first pic is of the hen and in the 2nd pic the hen, Taji, is on the right and the ****, Rai, is on the left. Rai only expresses himself in rough squawks while I can get Taji to make a large range of sounds including kissing noises if I "chirp" back at her very quickly and quietly. Currently she's trying to learn how to copy a whistle. I'm hoping for some recessive pieds from them but I suppose one or both could be DF clearflight and then I'd only get more DEC.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if you mate her with a recessive pied you will be able to tell what she is. if she is a dec you will get more dec and some rec pieds. if she is a df spangle rec pied you will get all sf spangle rec pieds.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you mate her with a recessive pied you will be able to tell what she is. if she is a dec you will get more dec and some rec pieds. if she is a df spangle rec pied you will get all sf spangle rec pieds.
Won't the rec pied mask the spangle? My recessive pied has so few markings I have wondered if he is masking something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.