Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why my budgie is burrowing in the food bowl and throwing seed everywhere? He’s even throwing it up into the air and it’s landing on higher surfaces than his cage!
I only got him yesterday. My other budgies didn’t do this! I’m worried that he’s not eating and just throwing it everywhere…

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is he young, sometimes young birds see the food bowl as their nest and will want to burrow into it.
Thanks for replying. There’s uncertainty about his age, but someone else on here estimated him as being about 8 months old as his eyes are still dark but his cere has matured early. Is there anything I can do to provide him with a better place to nest, or is it best just to let him get on with it? He is resting on the seed holder now, so your theory seems likely.

He is now scuttling around in the empty holder and consequently has no food…

I’m planning on going shopping tomorrow so I’ll see if I can find something. I’ve put a little plate in with vegetables on but he’s not sure about that yet. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi there:
Mine did this when I first found him, and I thought it was cute, part of his personality, etc, you can see video here: Chiribiri -- giving it a go!
I was told this is normal behavior.
However, I'm sharing from a point of concern that I've noticed some correlation now in retrospect. I have a suspicion that I got him the wrong seeds, and he was burrowing to try to find more food. Shortly after that video, he weighed in at a very light 23.5g, and the new vet both had me change food and put him on nearly 2 months antibiotics with suspicion of chlamydia.
i.e. check what food you are feeding your pet, and make sure it's something it is actually eating. And if it is eating well and not losing weight, then, nothing to see here, be merry :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there:
Mine did this when I first found him, and I thought it was cute, part of his personality, etc, you can see video here: Chiribiri -- giving it a go!
However, I'm sharing from a point of concern that I've noticed some correlation now in retrospect. I have a suspicion that I got him the wrong seeds, and he was burrowing to try to find more food. Shortly after that video, he weighed in at a very light 23.5g, and the new vet both had me change food and put him on nearly 2 months antibiotics with suspicion of chlamydia.
i.e. check what food you are feeding your pet, and make sure it's something it is actually eating. And if it is eating well and not losing weight, then, nothing to see here, be merry :)
Oh thank you for that, that’s really helpful to know. The behaviour does look similar. I got the seed they claimed to be feeding him, but they hadn’t had him in the shop long I don’t think and sadly I don’t know what the breeder had him on. I guess it might be a case of trial and error! I wish I hadn’t bought so much of the other one now lol

·
Administrator
59,209 Posts
You little fellow is definitely no more than about 8 months old and could even be a bit younger!
Burrowing around in the food bowl is normal behavior for baby budgies and they do outgrow it over time.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi there:
This makes me so glad those days of young budgies are over, they were such nightmares. Always throwing food everywhere.

You're right about the wrong seed comment, my two (one more than the other) will vigorously dig and throw food out the bowl if it's something she doesn't like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.