1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are able to get Tim Tam biscuits, then these are for you! :D

5 TimTam biscuits
125 g Philly Cheese
Shredded or Dessicated coconut, depends on what you like!

Throw the TimTam biscuits into a food processor with the Philly cheese. Whizz it up until nicely blended.

Take out and roll into small balls, then roll in the coconut. Refrigerate until firm. Eat!

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:laugh: There is that of course!

I was AMAZED when I went to the States. They have nothing like a TimTam and as I took a few puts with me to share around, people loved them!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Chocolate and store bought Biscuits/Cookies pretty much suck in the states, sad to say. They do A LOT of things right but that's the one food group I missed terribly when I lived there. Now that I'm here, I miss all the great things to eat that are back there but at least I have my Tim Tams, Milo, Vegemite, Cadbury choc etc etc.

My Alaskan husband is crazy for Tim Tams and Kingstons. Good ol' Arnotts.

I'd try to make him this recipe but my food processor died and I'm too busy spending all my money on my birds to buy a new one lol Looks yummy though!

·
Wing Commander
1,778 Posts
Found some here. https://www.simplyoz.com/products/a...__crackers__cookies/tim_tams/arnotts_tim_tams
I will order some tomorrow :)

Any thing else there I need to try form Aus ?
Depends on what you're partial to! I like violet crumble (chocolate over that crunchy honeycomb stuff) and cherry ripe (dark chocolate covering a cherry and coconut centre), but I'm sure there's something similar there.

If they had Fruchocs, I'd definitely point you there - such a specific South Australian icon!

I'm not going to suggest you try Vegemite, because it's an acquired taste. it's salty with a sort of yeasty thing going on and is best taken as a scraping on top of buttered toast or in a vegemite and cheese sandwich, again - use sparingly, you have been warned! A jar is a waste for a try, unless you use it as a seasoning in cooking, or to make this: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22132/cheesy+vegemite+pull+apart

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Double coat and caramel are best Tim Tams (in my opinion) but they are all good, truly.

Other good options are Kingstons (like an oat cookie with choc cream in the middle - my personal all time favourite, even better than Tim Tams)

Caramel Crowns
Mint Slice

Cadbury Snack (in the chocolates section) - amazing
I like Top Deck too but you really can't go wrong with any of Cadbury's or Arnotts stuff. These are just my preferences and are the things I used to eat until I felt sick, everytime I'd come back here to visit.

I know that seasonally you can buy some Cadbury chocolates, at least in Oregon you could but it's not the Australian version and is actually manufactured by Hershey. No offence to Hershey but it really can't compare. These look to be the real thing :)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
On the subject of Vegemite. I actually have my American family loving it BUT they only like it if I make it.

For instance, last night I had the munchies so I made 2 pieces of Vegemite toast. Thick Whole wheat bread, loads of butter, tiny scraping of vegemite. I offered hubby a slice and he took a bite and was like "OMG you make the BEST toast". He won't make it for himself though because Vegemite is dangerous in the hands of foreigners :D I'm kidding but no, I don't recommend it either.

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
I have tried Vegemite (years ago back in the UK), and let me tell you, if you were not brought up on it, you are most likely not going to like it, LOL. It's very odd.
Tim Tams, on the other hand, sound delicious.

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,205 Posts
I am sure they are delicious!! but here I can't find Tim-Tam! I have to find a european substitute in order to make those!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.