Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've come to terms that my two girls are just destined to be total jerks for the rest of their lives. I'm okay with this, because deep down, I know they love me. But nothing I do reduces their territorial behaviour or aggression. Chick is far more violent than Wasabi. She regularly bites very hard and will take off chunks of skin or make me bleed, I've been going into work with so many bite marks on my fingers. Her favourite places to attack are my fingers, or my nose. Wasabi, on the other hand, will never bite down hard, she just pecks me to let me know to back off, but she's gentle.

Chick is constantly bluffing / lunging towards me. She'll make angry noises. She absolutely loves to be near me and always wants to sit on my shoulder or hands and just stare at my face, but then she becomes violent for no reason. I don't know if it shows in the video, but her eyes pin like crazy when she's becoming angry. I won't even be doing anything to encourage her behaviour, she'll just go from sweetly sitting beside me to suddenly pinning her eyes rapidly and making angry songs and I know she's about to bluff. Most of the bluffing is just that - bluffing. But sometimes, she'll actually clamp down on skin.

I've followed all the advice about hormonal budgies: they have nothing that lets them nest in their cages, I rearrange their cages regularly, I've decreased their amount of light hours to no avail, I am now increasing their daylight hours because I read somewhere that shorter days only helps New World parrots not Old World ones. I've not given them vitamins or amino acids in almost two weeks. They're still just as bad, Chick moreso. Poor Wasabi can't even sit in peace without being chased by Chick. Rearranging the room or their cages doesn't work, it just makes them scared / nervous / apprehensive for a few hours and then they're comfortable again and back to being violent.

Is this our life now? Chick turns 2 in January. How long are these hormonal teenage years supposed to last. 75% of the time when she's out, all she's interested in is finding dark crevices and nesting. I remember the good days when she was young and both of them would just like sitting on me and relaxing. I've read that bluffing and lunging can be due to stress or fear, that is 100% not the case with Chick, she trusts me unconditionally and is never scared of me.

· Registered
101 Posts
I have no advice of course since I’m new to this and only have the one male birdie. I had read females are more aggressive, that seems to be true for your girls. I’m torn when reading your post here because mine still will not come onto me at all so I’m jealous of your relationships with yours because at least they will sit on your shoulders. :love:

I hope you get some good ideas from others.

· Registered
I have two budgies, Dove and Diva. Dove is a fancy budgie, and Diva is a blue budgie.
54 Posts
Budgies can be hormonal for quite a long time, sometimes it last for up to a year. I remember when my first female budgie was hormonal, it was absolutely awful.
Do you react to her biting? If you pull your hand back when she bites, it could encourage her to keep biting.
I will most likely be back later with links to articles that helped me with my first budgie hormones issue, I’ll have to see if I can find them tho, that was years ago lol

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Budgies can be hormonal for quite a long time, sometimes it last for up to a year. I remember when my first female budgie was hormonal, it was absolutely awful.
Do you react to her biting? If you pull your hand back when she bites, it could encourage her to keep biting.
I will most likely be back later with links to articles that helped me with my first budgie hormones issue, I’ll have to see if I can find them tho, that was years ago lol
My pain tolerance has always been okay, so when she bites, I don't typically react. I'll only react if she bites down, then readjusts to get more skin and chew deeper. Then I'll put her off onto a perch or make her fly off. She'll honestly take chunks off, my fingers today are really sore from one particularly deep bite that she readjusted.

Please tell me there's light at the end of the tunnel. Is this first hormonal period the worst? When she eventually calms down and returns to normal, will future hormonal periods be slightly more bearable? Or am I just going to have to come to terms with the fact that her being a nasty hormonal piece of work for months on end is the norm?

· Administrator
60,902 Posts
There is no way to tell if she is going to change her behavior patterns or not.
Each and every budgie is unique. Just because one behaves in a certain manner does not indicate another of the same gender will act the same.

· Registered
I have two budgies, Dove and Diva. Dove is a fancy budgie, and Diva is a blue budgie.
54 Posts
Please tell me there's light at the end of the tunnel. Is this first hormonal period the worst? When she eventually calms down and returns to normal, will future hormonal periods be slightly more bearable? Or am I just going to have to come to terms with the fact that her being a nasty hormonal piece of work for months on end is the norm?
As FaeryBee said, each budgie is different, she may keep acting this aggressive each hormonal period. This hasn't been the case for any of the budgies that I've owned, but every budgie is different.
These links may help you out:
Click
Click
Click
Best of luck to you and your budgies!

· Registered
46 Posts
Same here, Just today one of them bit me so hard that I thought my finger was going to turn blue or something. I was trying break up a small fight b/w them. Usually they don't bite, it's just random, I think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts