Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. New member here. I had a few questions for you all.

First a little backstory: My dad and I adopted 2 male parakeets as a Christmas surprise for my mom on December 23rd. They are a bonded, father son pair. They've been doing great so far.

But here's the thing, the older of the two (Who has been named Norman) came with a cere defect as the result of a nasal infection which was cleared by the rescue's vet. He has some damage, but he seems perfectly healthy and unbothered by it. So, we've had him a few weeks and it seems that one nostril is a bit bloody. Its hard to tell if it is actively bleeding or (I assume) just a little dried blood from crashing into a perch with the already damaged cere.

I contacted the rescue and the lady said that he was cleared by the vet and is in good health. She told me to keep an eye on it and see a vet if it gets any worse. I guess I'm asking if anyone has had a similar experience with an infection causing damage and having a bloody bit on the cere? Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you have adopted the two budgie boys. :)

I agree that from the photos it appears to be some dried blood. If you don't see any blister on the cere nor an open wound and both nostrils are perfectly clear, then he should be fine and no more bleeding should occur.
You can temporarily pad the cage with some vet wrap (if you have it) especially the corners of the cage and on rougher surfaces and take out toys that may have sharp ends where your budgie can injure himself and reopen the wound.

I'm wishing your Norman a steady and full recovery.

·
Member of the Month June 2015
2,510 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

:congrats: on your new tiny friends, I'm delighted you were able to adopt them that's really kind of you :2thumbs:

I agree that it looks like dried blood and I like Aluz' suggestion of padding the cage for now. Some towelling of a soft pillow or cushion (depending on the size of the cage) with a layer of paper across it would help.

My little budgie (RIP) had a sinus infection cleaned out also and his cere was left looking similar to Normans. I'm glad you've been observing his breathing.

Do you have an avian vet that you plan to take the two birds to for annual check-ups? It would be no harm to start now anyway. I know he has already been cleared by the rescue vet however it might help put your mind at ease.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your rescued pair :)

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
I'm so glad you and your Dad were able to rescue little Norman and his son. :hug:
I'm sure with your family's loving care they will enjoy a happy and healthy life. :)

I'm going to move your thread out of the "Emergency" forum and over to "Budgie Health".
Please be sure to give us an update on little Norman's condition in a day or so.

·
Super Moderator
20,168 Posts
Norman is adorable! What a cutie ;)

I agree with all advice given and I think padding the cage is a good idea. I hope he feels better soon! I'm sure that he'll be very happy in your care.

Please do keep us posted on how he progresses :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.