Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you think you want to try and get that perfect flight shot you have always dreamed of? Well here are some very basic tips. I am sure others will add to the list, and this really is only meant as a starting point.

1. Your camera really needs to have a manual setting that allows you to increase the shutter speed. If not you may or may not be able to get away with using the "sport" mode.

2. Get to know your camera :)

3. There are 2 aspects you have to try and balance. The faster the shutter speed, the less likelihood of blurring either from shaking hands or fast moving birds. The faster the shutter speed the less light gets in causing darker pictures. What you need to find is the shutter speed that gets you are clear pic without the need to have your room lit with high voltage spotlights.

4. Have the largest pixel setting your camera allows (this will provide clearer pics when you crop)

5. Pick a space that you know your bird will regularly fly to and focus your camera on this area. Don't zoom in, give yourself a nice wide view of the area and if possible use a multi-shot setting. The more pics you can take the greater the likelihood of getting a good pic.

6. Take lots and lots of pics, then delete all the ones that don't have a budgie in them :D Save the rest.

7. Cropping is now your best friend. Crop that picture to make it look like you caught your budgie perfectly in the lens of your camera and pressed the shutter at the exact moment that ensured perfect composition. But in truth we know the budgie was actually only just in the frame and the majority of the pic was space :p

8. Pat yourself on the back, load your pics onto Photobucket and post your best and worst here :clap:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
:goodpost: now if only my guys flew :p they have clipped wings

·
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:goodpost: now if only my guys flew :p they have clipped wings
Give them a few months and those flight feathers will be back. You could practice on wild birds in the mean time though :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Another idea if you're struggling with getting the shutter speed fast enough without compromising light is to turn your flash up! :) If you have a camera with a hot shoe that allows for an external flash, then invest in one if you can! Not only will a flash give more light so that you can make your shutter faster, it will prevent you or your camera from having to compromise your aperture (increases the chance that your shot is unfocused in this case) or your ISO (creates noise in the photo, making it look grainy).

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That is a really helpful post.... I borrowed my sons DSLR, had a fast shutter speed ( had worked that bit out) only to find a totally black picture, no sign of anything, never mind a budgie!

·
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a really helpful post.... I borrowed my sons DSLR, had a fast shutter speed ( had worked that bit out) only to find a totally black picture, no sign of anything, never mind a budgie!
Great post! Boo's wings are clipped, but he can still glide quite far, so I might get a good photo :)
Great to hear you have found these tips helpful. Now I shall be expecting to see some flight pics :D

If you are still having trouble don't forget you can post one of your attempts and we can then offer some advice on what you can try to fix. Before you know it I am sure you will be taking some great flight club pics. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.