Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Violet hen, jus wondering who I would best be matching her with out of my budgies, for a chance of a violet baby.

This is the Hen

Best makes to pair with?

Bilbo

Paulie

Or Guido

http:\\www.cmtwebdesign.co.uk/images/budgies/bsiggy.jpg

·
Registered
694 Posts
With Bilbo - You have a 25% chance of getting yellowface skyblue violets and a 25% chance of yellowface cobalt violets. You would also get 25% yellowface skyblues and 25% yellowface cobalts.

With Paulie - Chances are that the grey would override the violet in most cases, especially if Paulie is a DF grey.

With Guido - You would get normal sky blues and cobalts (25% chance of each), along with 25% chance of skyblue violets, and 25% of cobalt violets. All chicks would be split to rec. pied.

In my opinion, it's down to Guido and Bilbo. It all depends on whether or not you want yellowface chicks.

But if I were you, I would wait for someone else to come along and confirm all this. I'm not exactly good with this.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I would be inclined to mate her to Guido because if she is not split for recessive pied you could expect about:
25% skyblue
25% violet sky blue
25% cobalt
25% cobalt violet (like their mum)

The problem with mating her to Bilbo is that the spread of yellow in a type 2 yellow face ruins the violet coloring. If he had been a type 1 yellow face he would have been a good choice.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Nev said it all - there's nothing else to say except: beautiful violet. I love violets - I have 2 violet opalines, 2 normal violets, 1 violet spangle, grey with violet and a green with violet. It is difficult to see the violet on the last two, but breeding results prove that there is violet.
Good luck!

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
to get--

Hi, I put violet to cobalt, or violet dark green or olive to get consistent violet chicks with strong violet color. My yellow face sky violet recessive pied hen and my cobalt frosted pied **** produced a yellow face mauve **** this spring.

Once I got violet showing up consistently, violets just popped up. I found it easier to get violet in dark factors.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budge::budge:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.