Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just wanted some input on Merlin's one foot (left foot in the photo). At first I had thought because he was a baby he just stood funny sometimes, but the more I look the more frequently I see his one back toe facing forward when he's perched. He shows no signs of pain, etc. No infection or anything around the foot, but it's always forward. It never causes him any problems perching, either, so it doesn't bother him, it just looks funny when you know how their feet are supposed to be. Typically it will be facing forward even more than in the photo.

I just wanted to know if perhaps it's just a deformity that wasn't corrected at birth or something the breeder didn't treat. Thanks all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's how it is sometimes, very far forward with the other 2 toes. Before this he was standing normal with the toe back where it should be. :rolleyes:

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
It's hard to say whether it is a very slight deformity he was born with or if it was caused on the nest as a young chick. Things like this can happen on crowded nests with lots of siblings and in some cases where the nests aren't cleaned often and the breeder doesn't remove the poop build up from the chicks' feet and that can later result in foot deformities.

I wouldn't even consider your Merlin to be disabled, he has all his toes and knows how to use his "problematic" little toe in a proper way when he wants to, and the two bigger toes are just very slightly turned inwardly. There is nothing wrong in perching in a more original way, your Merlin is perfectly able to lead a normal life with no problems at all. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Aluz :)
I just wanted to be sure it's not something I should take action on. I find it quite cute and it adds to his personality. :love: I figured it should be ok since he has no issues perching etc. I feel better now. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
My second budgie has the same issue. I took her to the vet who said that she was probably injured as a baby but it's healed perfectly fine and doesn't seem to trouble her much. She does seem ever so slightly more shaky once in a while when perching than my other budgie but it doesn't stop her from doing anything.

These days her toes actually more and more all face the right way round.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm hoping his secret magickal toe may eventually get a little better as he gets older (only because it looks extremely uncomfortable sometimes, but it doesn't seem to bother him one bit) ;)
Perhaps when Merlin is hand tame he will reveal the secrets of his toe to me :giggle:

·
Registered
622 Posts
You might want to try gathering some other perches with slightly smallerdiameters,....natural safe branches, that might encourage exercising the foot. Try this for a week or so and then add back to your regular perches. Just a thought.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I actually had a plan for that, to get a lot more perches tomorrow. Natural wood/pumice etc. When we first got him I had checked the pet store twice and their perches were absolutely sold out and not restocked. So hopefully the shelves will be overflowing tomorrow so we can come home with more goodies to replace the dowel ones. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.