Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up the EB that is about 11wks old tonight. I met the lady at a place near my work and it wasnt until I got home that I realized that his highest toe is stuck in the leg band! 馃槥 I cant see any signs of major concern like swelling or discoloration but I plan to take him Saturday to get it removed. You think hell be okay until then? I have no idea how long its been like this and now I am wondering if his toe will be okay once the band is removed. 馃槗

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres a pic. He jumped in his water dish thats why hes wet. Notice how you can kinda see iris rings, how old are they when they start to develop? ImageUploadedByPetGuide1421378694.920571.jpg

Registered
Oh no! Poor baby! Can he walk okay? Have you tried a little olive oil and gentle wiggling it up his leg a little, or is it super snug tight?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it slides but i cant slide it far enough back to get his toe thru because of the higher joint. 馃槬馃槹 not how i wanted to spend my first few minutes with him. I am worried sick and dont know if I should go in late to work tomorrow or if it could wait until sat morning.

Administrator
Amber,

Is the band a metal band or a plastic band and is it an "open" band (one with a slit in it) or a closed band (all one piece)?

I can't see any picture in your post :S

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amber,

Is the band a metal band or a plastic band and is it an "open" band (one with a slit in it) or a closed band (all one piece)?

I can't see any picture in your post :S

Deb Its metal

Administrator
Deb Its metal
Darn.

I had the vet remove the metal band from Pedro's leg.

Your vet will simply cut it off with a pair of metal clippers but obviously that has to be done with great care not to injure the bird's leg.

Could you call the woman and ask her how long the band has been on the budgie?
I'm sure the longer the toe has been that way the greater the potential for permanent damage to the toe.

Administrator
OK, for some reason now I can see the picture.
I wish I had some good advice. I've reported your thread in hopes that one of the other TB staff members will be able to offer some help.
Unfortunately, none of them are on line right this moment. :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im guessing I will have to go in late to work and drive an hour there and back quickly drop him off and then go straight to work. I hope hes ok over night God....poor guy is so stressed already and has no feces in his droppings because he isnt eating.

Administrator
Amber

Perhaps there is a regular vet nearby that you know and would trust to remove the band?

Poor sweet little baby. He's so cute and I'm sure you are totally stressed right now. :hug:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got him from a breeder that is in arizona and just here in ca visiting. So I cant just take him back to a shop or something for help. I called her though and she said there is no way the toe could have gotten thru there after the band was on so it must have been like this the whole time and she thinks I can wait until Saturday. Sigh I dont know.

Here he is poor guy. I feel so bad for him.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, seriously what is WRONG with some people??

I can only imagine how you feel, that is not a good start. I hope your vet can fix it and his toe will be okay.

He is a sweet little baby for sure. Here's hoping you can get something done really soon so you can enjoy him.
Do you think his toe will be damaged?

DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
Oh, seriously what is WRONG with some people??

I can only imagine how you feel, that is not a good start. I hope your vet can fix it and his toe will be okay.

He is a sweet little baby for sure. Here's hoping you can get something done really soon so you can enjoy him.
Do you think his toe will be damaged?
It really depends on to many factors too say.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amber

Perhaps there is a regular vet nearby that you know and would trust to remove the band?

Poor sweet little baby. He's so cute and I'm sure you are totally stressed right now. :hug:
I called the vet I go to as soon as I saw it but the avian dr left for the day already.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Registered
Do you have emergency vets where you live? We have a number here we can call and they'll come to the house in an emergency. Not sure if you have that but it would certainly help your bub and put your mind at rest.

I feel for you.

DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
Worst case I can think of is that they broke his toe while putting it on and it's grown back malformed. Best case, it's just got stuck in it, and one free the bird will take a couple days to recover.

As long as the toe isn't swollen and the ring isn't tight, there is no huge hurry as long as you take care of it ASAP.

You should check on him a lot to make sure he isn't chewing on his toe, trying to get it out himself.

Member of the Month April 2011
Like woodpeckers, budgies have two toes forward and two toes back. That's why they're good climbers. :)

The good news is the banded toe is facing backwards as it should. And its skin color does appear to be the same color as the other toes. So I don't think the circulation has been cut off. If he is not chewing his toe, he's probably not feeling terribly uncomfortable.

Nevertheless, please do take him to a professional bird groomer or avian vet ASAP to remove the band. Call your local pet store for a recommendation for bird groomer, or use this site to find a local avian vet. Association of Avian Veterinarians

Congrats for your lovely new avian child. He is sweet. I think he'll be okay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Worst case I can think of is that they broke his toe while putting it on and it's grown back malformed. Best case, it's just got stuck in it, and one free the bird will take a couple days to recover.

As long as the toe isn't swollen and the ring isn't tight, there is no huge hurry as long as you take care of it ASAP.

You should check on him a lot to make sure he isn't chewing on his toe, trying to get it out himself.
If its broken what does that mean? It will just be a useless toe? But pose no greater health concern? If thats the worse case scenario, than thats fine.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.