Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Like woodpeckers, budgies have two toes forward and two toes back. That's why they're good climbers. :)

The good news is the banded toe is facing backwards as it should. And its skin color does appear to be the same color as the other toes. So I don't think the circulation has been cut off. If he is not chewing his toe, he's probably not feeling terribly uncomfortable.

Nevertheless, please do take him to a professional bird groomer or avian vet ASAP to remove the band. Call your local pet store for a recommendation for bird groomer, or use this site to find a local avian vet. Association of Avian Veterinarians

Congrats for your lovely new avian child. He is sweet. I think he'll be okay.
Thank you, yes it is the back facing toe and it is going in its normal direction. There isnt a huge amount of swelling (or much of any-maybe a little on the joint) that I can see but the banded foot is a little bit purple in parts in comparison to the other foot. He uses it fine tho for the little amount of time I was able to observe him. Ive already notified my work ill be coming in late. I hope he will be ok. I am already in love with him. He is pretty friendly despite me torturing him on our first meeting. He has such big pretty eyes.

He looks so thin in comparison to my other two EBs. What is a good weight for EBs?

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'm glad you're having him cared for so quickly. :) Please post some more pictures after his toe has been released. :D

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
I'm sorry I missed this when I was online earlier. There are a couple of things you can try. When I have had a chick that got a little bigger than expected or had unexpectedly large feet I have soaked the foot and lower leg in white vinegar. For some reason this will actually make the foot shrink slightly for a short period of time, usually long enough to get the ring fully on. I usually use a little bit of Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) and a toothpick. You can slide the ring as far up the leg as possible and just flick the toe through, you can use a little bit of force as the toes are pretty flexible. This may need to be done before the vet can even attempt to cut the ring off. The tool we use over here is similar to one used to cut dogs nails and he may not be able to get it under the ring to cut it off without the toe coming through first.

The foot does not appear to be greatly swollen and the colour is still pretty good.

His not eating for the first day is not that unusual either. When I sold birds to someone outside our bird club I would give them a small amount of the seed I normally use and that way it was easier for the bird to get used to a different diet to the one it had been on. You just use mostly the seed he is used to for a couple of days and gradually increase the amount of new seed until it is all the new seed. That is if they were not going to use the same seed brand that I used.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm just reading this post now, any update on how your little one is doing? I always have a bottle of Bach's Rescue Remedy in spray format for occasions just like this. You can spray your birds anywhere except the eyes and it should help to calm them; then you can also give yourself a couple good sprays in the mouth so that you remain calm. Hope all is well today.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I just took this little guy in. Good news is the band is off and it looks like the toe may be okay! Bad news, they said the following: it was probably like that the whole time since it was put on, he is really dirty, too thin, and his dropping are just urates still so thats not good. But the vet feels in a week things should normalize since hes so stressed from all this.

I cleaned him up and left a tiny space heater on low in the room hes in.

I am starting to suspect he may be a little older because you can see very slight iris rings in the close pic above...Would that mean he is older than 12wks?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
As much as it was bad that the band was stuck over his toe, I'm kind of glad because it meant you too him to the vet right away and the vet could see what condition he is in and his health could be cared to right away (not that I think you aren't doing a good job, just that he wasn't in the best condition when you got him, you know?)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
I just took this little guy in. Good news is the band is off and it looks like the toe may be okay! Bad news, they said the following: it was probably like that the whole time since it was put on, he is really dirty, too thin, and his dropping are just urates still so thats not good. But the vet feels in a week things should normalize since hes so stressed from all this.

I cleaned him up and left a tiny space heater on low in the room hes in.

I am starting to suspect he may be a little older because you can see very slight iris rings in the close pic above...Would that mean he is older than 12wks?
Iris rings don't necessarily mean older. I have a 4 month old who has her's almost all the way in.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
I would remove most things in the cage, leaving only a couple of perches until you can get it removed. Just in case he gets it caught in anything when you're not around. That ring does looks quite large. Unfortunately I've seen cases where lorikeets have had their rings caught on branches, with dire consequences.
She said it's been removed.. the bird is doing fine. Hopefully he'll settle in fast for you Cozette.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
ISOS, I talked to the lady and she said they were budgie bands? But who knows. I agree tho. I understand why bands are used but I feel they are too unsafe to risk it. I have had all bands removed from the birds I have that had them. Also because the other birds mess too much with the leg bands trying to figure out why their friend is different and it annoys the bird who is being messed with. I was disappointed when I saw he had a leg band even before I noticed his toe was stuck..I just don't like them.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
As much as it was bad that the band was stuck over his toe, I'm kind of glad because it meant you too him to the vet right away and the vet could see what condition he is in and his health could be cared to right away (not that I think you aren't doing a good job, just that he wasn't in the best condition when you got him, you know?)
Well the lady hadn't sold any of his other clutch mates yet and I am wondering how many of them are still like this? And whether she would have noticed before it was too late? I am guessing it is only really starting to bother him as he has grown more because it is getting tighter and tighter the bigger he gets. So I am glad I got him because if he had stayed with her, she may have never noticed and him and his clutch mates would have been in a lot of discomfort. Now she is going to go back and look at all the bands on the others too. I do think she really cares about them and it was a mistake and not something fishy. Hopefully this doesnt offend anyone but she is an older lady and so maybe she just truly didn't see it---I have poor vision myself and I am much younger than her. Plus, LOOK AT HIS LITTLE FACE! He is absolutely adorable <3. He has such big soul full eyes. I have never seen eyes like this on a budgie. On my other two EBs, it is actually really hard to see their eyes because of all the fluff lol.

But when I told her about the bands she was genuinely concerned and felt there was no way the toe would have gotten in that position after the fact so it was probably like this the whole time. She also said at some point in the conversation that these EBs (his clutch mates and him) were so active and loved laying on their sides and in their tent....I have never seen a budgie lay down like conures etc.---it just makes me wonder if they were doing it to rest their feet because of the bands constricting them. And them naturally wanting to take some pressure off of their little feet.

Any way the poor little guy really perked up when the bad was removed. The vet staff even noticed. It must be such a relief! His toe looks fine other than being a little smaller than the same toe on his other foot.

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
I am glad everything is ok with your bird now Cozette.

I don't know why so many people have a problem with closed rings on their budgies. In all the years I bred budgies and used closed rings on them I only ever had to remove one ring from the many many birds I bred or bought, and that was with a bird I bought in.

Split rings are a different matter all together, those I do remove straight away as they can get caught in the wire or bars very easily.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thank you guys. Don't you agree that he is a special one!? It really seems like with all the searching I did to try and find a EB, there must have been a reason it ended up being him. There is something different about him that I can't place. He seems very observant about his environment and he just has a different face structure and different eyes. It is funny how the more you look at birds, you notice that they all have their own facial expressions and different shaped eyes, beaks and stuff---just like us humans. I am sure the average lay person can't tell...but I sure can. I know all the expressions of my little babies.

Hopefully when I get home I'll see a lot of hulled seeds and normal droppings, then I can truly let go of my worrying. Now I just have to get a name. After meeting him, I think he needs a special-sort of softer/soulful name.

·
Administrator
55,566 Posts
Thank you guys. Don't you agree that he is a special one!? It really seems like with all the searching I did to try and find a EB, there must have been a reason it ended up being him. There is something different about him that I can't place. He seems very observant about his environment and he just has a different face structure and different eyes. It is funny how the more you look at birds, you notice that they all have their own facial expressions and different shaped eyes, beaks and stuff---just like us humans. I am sure the average lay person can't tell...but I sure can. I know all the expressions of my little babies.

Hopefully when I get home I'll see a lot of hulled seeds and normal droppings, then I can truly let go of my worrying. Now I just have to get a name. After meeting him, I think he needs a special-sort of softer/soulful name.
I agree with you Amber, he is definitely a very SPECIAL little fellow and it does seem that it was meant to be that he's the one that you ended up with.

I'm sure you'll choose a name that is particularly ****ing to his nature and will be looking forward to hearing it when you've reached a decision.

I know you must be really anxious to get home to him -- I sure would be! :p

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm so glad you chose him as he obviously needed your help! It's so great he is okay and his toe is okay.

Also great that you know he has other health needs that you can help with with too. He is a lucky boy! And so so cute. I bet you both feel better :)

Now you can ENJOY him :)

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.