Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
This is your signature: "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France. And you said his eyes were soulful.

How about Anatole or a shorter derivation?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
His crop is full in that pic Cozette... I wouldn't worry about him eating, looks like he's filling himself up.

As far as a name, I always just think of names from movies and shows that I like, and use those. It makes it simple.

·
Administrator
55,566 Posts
Hi, Amber. :wave:

From everything I've researched, American/Pet Budgies generally weigh between 32-38 grams, averaging ~35, based on body size.

English budgies generally weigh from 42 grams to 50 grams depending on body size with the average being around 45 grams.

If you gently feel the keel bone, you can get a general idea if the budgie is too thin or too heavy. If the keel bone is sharp and protruding then he's underweight.

I think your little fellow looks like he's just fine at the weight he is currently. ;)

You may want to get a digital scale and monitor his weight a couple of times a week to ensure he maintains a healthy weight.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Interesting, the things I read about exhibition budgies said they are on average 50-55grams and wild type 25-35, with an average in the low 30s. Cozette is 28g. Well the vet said he was a bit underweight. He looks underweight to me as well based on the other two EBs who I was told are not over weight and they are 47.1 and 51.7.

·
Administrator
55,566 Posts
That is interesting.
Maybe one of our breeders will weigh in on what their experience is with regard to English Budgies' average weight.
I'll be sure to update my reference material if the weight is generally higher! ;)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Right now I am debating Benson or Mason (or Macen)....see what else comes to mind I guess. I also kinda like Weasley. I found a lot of names I like (Nash, tate, hobbes and day) but I prefer two syllable I dont know why lol.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
When Sweetie was last weighed he was 44.3g and the vet considered him a bit underweight due to his breastbone and such, and he's a pet type budgie. I think it all just depends on your specific budgie. I need to get a new kitchen scale and weigh him at home.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Right now I am debating Benson or Mason (or Macen)....see what else comes to mind I guess. I also kinda like Weasley. I found a lot of names I like (Nash, tate, hobbes and day) but I prefer two syllable I dont know why lol.
He looks like a Benson! :thumbsup:

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Toe

Hi, In general the smaller standard budgie can be 25 to 39+- and the English are usually 40 to 60gms. However, there is a gray area where bone structure can qualify this. We have had perfectly healthy English at 80 gms. And many breeders are breeding up the little guys so that they look like small English. When in doubt check the keel bone in relation to the breast muscle. An overweight budgie, for the bone structure may not be a good flyer. Watch your bird fly around the room and then roost if they exhibit heavy breathing and the weight is a little heavy, Budgie needs an exercise program and reduce treats in the diet. A healthy budgie can fly several times around a big show hall in a hotel like Crown Plaza. Our Hansel, escaped his show cage and We stood and watched counting the rounds till finally he needed a rest, but you can imagine what a glorious experience to fly like the wild budgies do. Even our 8 foot walk in flight is still restricted. When he came down and was returned to his show cage he was ready to go again almost immediately with no evidence of respiratory stress. This gives you a better estimate of your birds best weight. We use these other scales because they are quicker answers. The budgie that roosts all day is usually an older bird, but may need you to help it with an exercise program. We will also try letting the older bird spend a little time with the older babies that are in constant motion. Best wishes, Jo A:budge::budge:nn

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.